rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bromheads Grave
Graves1879

Info for all

I have just come across the following dated Saturday, January 2, 2010
RECIPIENT OF Victoria CROSS MAJOR GONVILLE Bromhead FINALLY DOWN IN INDIA

Hero of Rorke�s Drift, Major Gonville Bromhead, VC of the 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment (later South Wales Borderers) might have never imagined during his life span that one day his Memorial at grave in "The New Cantonment Cemetery, Allahabad, India" would be left broken on the earth surrounded by animal waste. This is what the beautifully sculpted historical monument stands today at Allahabad completely in a bizarre condition. To all, it gives a feeling of shame after visiting this site; one may also think on the fate of a gallantry soldier sacrificing his life for the honour and pride of the nation. That one day, the same nation would put your honour in the dust. Major Gonville Bromhead was not a politician rather a true patriot who obeyed the will of the nation in the highest tradition. A true soldier of the great Army, for whose deeds, the entire nation owes a lot.

Peter Ewart

Very sad. Deliberate or accidental?

See the photo of the grave under his name (links, left) on this site - plenty of foliage around the grave then - and also the report by Martin Everett containing photos of the grave and SWB memorial alongside it a few years ago, under his An Indian Pilgrimage in the Your Travel Stories section.

Peter

P.S. Who took these photos? Is it an anglophile Indian filing this report?
peterw

My first reaction on seeing this was shock and outrage but I wonder if I was too hasty?

The cross has certainly come off the plinth but it looks to have been placed there? Pushed over by someone and tidied up by another? In the UK it is now common to see large headstones flat on the ground for "health and safety" reasons. The age and condition of many apparently presents a risk to visitors so they are intentionally laid down.

The overall condition of the cemetery appears to have changed very little since Martin's visit and I presume there is no formal arrangement for maintenance. Does anyone know?

Thanks for posting these.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Hi there,

Jonathon Owen of the Independent on Sunday has contacted me, as he wants to do a story on this.

Could Graves1879 contact him ASAP on the following:

Jonathan Owen
Home newsdesk
Independent on Sunday
Direct line: 0207 005 2613

[email protected]

ATB,

Peter
Graves1879

Hi Peter

I have contacted Mr Jonathan Owen of the Independent on Sunday and passed on the Source of the information in India.
Peter
Site Admin

A story is in this weeks IoS, page 23.
Graves1879

rich

Didn't like to see that picture. Peter you know I just don't see why items in a cemetery have to be"laid down". Frankly, how many visitors each day visit Bromhead's grave? SRO (standing room only) crowds? No. Other than deliberately knocked over perhaps the Indian winds puffed through one dark, stormy and rainy night and did the job? What are the odds of each?

Dear All,

The Yellowish memorial to the left of Bormhead's grave - or if you look at the first photo - in front of the grave - is dedicated to the soldiers, wives and children of the 24th who died of fever at that period. As far as I know only one person from the UK has visited since 2003 when I was there. It is not easy to travel to Allahabad as there is not an airport adjacent to the City.

I had this email on 30 December 2009:

Name: MAJOR SURENDER SINGH
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +918127698864
Message: Dear Sir /Madam 1. Recently I made a visit to Allahabad Cantt (India)on a training programme. 2. As an enthusiast of military history, I also visited the Memorial of Bromhead GONVILLE(Reg. No 124)Lieutenant 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment (later South Wales Borderers) at The New Cantonment Cemetery, Allahabad, (India). 3. I felt bad to see the sorry state of memorial which was half broken from the cross. I took pictures of it to take the matter up through write up in my blog at http://theindiananalysis.blogspot.com/ 4. I am still at Allahabad till January end and will be honoured if I could be any help. Best Regards Major Surender Singh Indian Army

Bromheads Grave
markrob

I am sad to hear this. I visited Allahabad cemetery 2 years ago - it was neglected and overgrown - so may British names and graves falling into disrepair as time has passed. When I was there, there was cattle - and at least one Indian family - living in the cemetery. Bromheads grave and the 24th Regt memorial were in good repair. I also made managed to access St David's (now St Thomas') Church, not far from the cemetery, where Bomhead's funeral was held. I hope that somebody manages to repair his headstone
[img]http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/slideshow/AlbumID=192090375/PictureID=421[/img]
Martin Everett

Dear All,

Just to let you know that BACSA, the British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia, have been alerted. They will undertake a survey, ascertain costs of refurbishment and report back to the Regiment.

peterw

Martin

Thanks for the update - that's good news.. Please keep us informed.

Peter
Graves1879

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the update
major gonville Bromhead grave
usnavymom

i saw the pics of his grave...why such a mess ? why can his remains not be brought to England...the country he served and died for ............
it seem such a shame that " lest we forget ' is only good for a while....lets bring him home
Martin Everett

Please look at our website - news section - for the latest update

www.rrw.org.uk

It has always been the tradition for British soldiers to be buried where they fell or died - the first members of the regiment whose remains were brought home were those who were killed in Aden in 1967. Who pays?

Bromheads Grave