rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Military Leadership Handbook.
Coll

Authors - Bernd Horn, Robert W. Walker.

I've read many books about military leaders, but although such a talent isn't obtained by reading a book, I wondered if anyone has acquired the above title, as I'm just looking to obtain a single guidebook on the subject.

Does it cover aspects of this area of expertise well ?

Would it also be suitable in understanding the qualities required for British officers in the Zulu War 1879 ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Always interested to read book son leadership, albeit, I'd not heard of this title.

With regard to this book and it's suitability for understanding theose qualities of leadership expected of British Officers during the AZW, my first question would be aimed at the title's authors: are they British? Many countries have many different ideas of leadership and those of a Victorian British Army officer would, I expect, differ from those of a modern [say US] academic.

AMB
Sawubona

No help on that particular book, but if you haven't got a copy of "Mr. Kipling's Army- All The Queens Men" by Farwell, it's a good investment at $11 USD from Amazon. Several chapters impart a good sense of the mindset of the Victorian British officer and it's impact on his leadership "style".
Coll

AMB/Sawubona

Many thanks for your replies.

On seeking a single guidebook on this subject, I guess I'm looking for what amounts to be universal coverage, as in, the most recognised talents in all military leaders - even if from different countries, eras, etc. - as there must be some aspects that are identical.

Thanks again.

Coll
Military Leadership Handbook.