rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
AZW Film "Symbol of Sacrifice"
SIR BCP

I remember reading somewhere, that well before Zulu and Zulu Dawn, a film had been made in 1917 called "Symbol of Sacrifice" about the AZW.
I could not find any reference to it within the IMDB site on the web.
Can anyone comment on this ?
Thanks

Brian
Martin Everett

The expert on this film is Dr Mark Coghlan - KwaZulu Natal Provincial Museum Service in PMB - who some 15 years ago assembled the surviving film footage - the date of the film is 1918. You might find Mark through the Natal Carbineers.

I have an original brochure on the film. (another document not listed by Harold B)

The Symbol of Sacrifice: (director Dick Cruickshanks, 1918). Stars Mabel May, Jack Montgomery. Drama set during Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. Natal Witness editor F. Horace Rose is one of the credited writers.

Colonel Johan William Colenbrander (1856-1918) was born in Pinetown, Natal to a Dutch family who had settled there in 1849. During his lifetime he participated in a number of key events, including the Zulu War, the visit of Lobengula's indunas to Queen Victoria, Rhodes' expansion into Mashonaland, the Ndebele Rebellion, and the Anglo-Boer War (during which he raised and commanded a unit named 'Kitchener's Fighting Scouts'). After several unsuccessful business ventures, he obtained employment in 1917 with I.W. Schlesinger's film company, helping to organise labour for the filming of The Symbol of Sacrifice. He played the part of Lord Chelmsford in the film and was drowned as he tried to cross the Klip River on horseback. He was married three times, first to Mollie Mullens in 1883, secondly, in 1902, to Yvonne Nunn, with whom he had a daughter, and thirdly, in 1911, to Catherine (Kathleen) Gloster, with whom he had a son.

SIR BCP

Thanks for your help on that Martin
AZW Film "Symbol of Sacrifice"