rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

What I wrote in the reply before last was: "I just haven't watched it since it came out!" (scroll down to see it), which means, fairly unambiguously, "I saw it when it came out but not since." I'm sorry if I couldn't make myself any clearer.
Denton Van Zan

Sheldon

Such are the misunderstandings that abound in written posts on a discussion forum. Rolling Eyes

C.J.
Denton Van Zan

I reckon, that if this use of making a specific item stand out in a modern b&w Isandlwana film, it would focus on the flag, during Melvill's attempt to save it, although it was cased in the real event.

I can just see it now, through the camp and the flight down Fugitives' Trail, with b&w imagery of the terrain and fleeing men, mounted and on foot, with the flag clearly defined in colour.

It would make for a striking scene, methinks.

C.J.
Red
Robert John

Coll,

Changing the subject but on the same theme what you say reminds me of " Schindlers List ".
There is a scene where he is watching a long line of people being herded towards the train [ in black and white ] with a little girl walking amongst them with a red coat on -- extremely harrowing scene !
Later one sees the red coat dumped with other clothes in a camp leaving one to draw their own conclusions about what happened to the little girl.

Same idea as yours, Coll

Robert

Robert John

Please ignore the above -- I had a very heavy day yesterday and should have read through the previous messages before posting - it has been covered before.
So much for my invaluable contribution !!!

Robert

Although not highlighting a specific item, there appears to be an upsurge in the 'colouring-in' of b&w war documentaries, both for W.W.1. and W.W.2.

If I'm correct, there apparently is a series coming up showing such use of b&w W.W.2. footage, I think on the History Channel.

It's quite odd to see how effective b&w works on modern films, at the same time as colour is used to great effect in old b&w programmes.

C.J.
rich

You know I love b&w films but REAL b&w films....Wink.. I guess I gravitate very much to the old film noirs. I saw the two Clooney films Sheldon referred to and I just seem to have a different viewing relationship to the films. I like them but for some reason those old film noirs really captivate me more with there b&w photography. I think they just capture the essence so well of the periods they present. It just comes across as not "fake". What I'm thinking is that perhaps I've been kind of too colour conditioned here in the modern era where the b&w just appears to come out at the viewer differently. Just my film-viewing opinion. Now it comes to my mind after watching one of the gretest series ever, Tinker Tailor that it could have done very well with a b&w treatment but in that case since the colour version was so good it would be tough to improve. Not sure what the stock was but it was a great "look" in the spyworld. A Zulu film like that presentation would really look good I'd think if in colour.

Here's a few of the Black an White scenes for Coll from the preposed movie featuring his hero............The Lt.

rich

Coll: Many fans of 'Zulu' may disagree, but from a historical view, even for a wider audience, black-and-white instead of colour could be the key, in bringing, on the big screen anyway, events somehow closer, narrowing the gap between now and then.
It is something that I'm concentrating more on, preventing me being obsessed with this colour and that, allowing to get to the heart of the historical battle without worrying about such a distraction.

You know I'm beginning to think that a new treatment as you note should be done but rather not on the battle itself but on PERSONALITIES and you can take your pick, Durnford, Chelmsford, Frere or personnel in the Army etc. B&W photgraphy to emphasize the seriousness, the tension and the conflict of making sense of a disaster through the eyes of its participants. Put it in a Victorian environment with period chairs, tables, etc and wallah you'd have a nice little film. Of course, it's all in the script! That's all you need Coll... Wink I think what "Isandhlwana" could use is a modern-day script writer like the famous Robert Bolt. You can do wonders with great dialogue. And if it's good maybe the BBC would pick it up!

Lt

One day, maybe, one day. Wink

Rich

You're getting back into the realms of a post-Isandlwana C.O.I. or Court Martial - easier to accomplish - but hellish to write. Confused

C.J.
rich

Yes, I'd agree with that assessment. Also, I'd think it would be high-drama. Of course, from what we've seen here the COI will have very controversial elements. But I'd think that the treatment would be a very good way to explore those controversial aspects of the battle. The writer or writers would have to be very disciplined in their approach. Simply shooting from the hip will not work. All in all I wish it could be done.

Rich

One writer could put together a play or screenplay, but instead of from a single viewpoint, where personal opinion would eventually surface, assistance from several sources, whether here on this public forum, or sent privately to the writer, from historians taking the part of individuals present at the 'hearing' as witnesses, including Durnford, Pulleine, etc., responding to a list of questions (basically a questionnaire) in the way thought most accurate if answered by the actual historical figures, then incorporated into the action by the writer.

Therefore you need a setting and list of individuals present.

Is it a C.O.I. or Court Martial ?

Who would compile the questionnaires to each historian portraying the individuals involved ?

The above compiler would also have to follow up many of these answered questions with points raised by the 'witness'.

This way, the writer would gradually amass a file on each character, containing questions posed and answers given, as well as other relevant info, such as their appearance, age, unit, etc., etc.

It would take a great deal of time to accomplish, but with so many historians wise-in-the-knowledge, and the using of e-mails, something could begin to take shape in a few weeks/months, though not completed.

C.J.
How About A New Isandlwana Film - But Not In Colour ?