rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Young

Coll,

As a long time admirer of Mark Knopfler's work I had the great pleasure to hear him perform Brothers in Arms live at the Royal Albert Hall last month. Twenty-five years on from the version you've posted he's now sings with some much more feeling.

Try listening to his A Piper to the End that he recorded for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal of 2009. It is about his uncle who was a piper in the Tyneside Scottish who was killed at the Battle of Arras, 1940.

John Y.
AMB

John,

Knopfler's certain got an ear for a good tune, eh? Delightful.

AMB
Rock Savage

I did try "Bringer of War" for the Invasion early on but it did not work in conjunction new Barry Score. Also it came across as corny maybe because of over familiarity and a striking resemblance to a certain John Williams score.

The end of the Zulu Dawn: The FanEdit uses music made by a victorious Zulu Impi.

Dire Straits.....hmmm... I like "So Far Away"....

The FanEdit has been finished for awhile now but I am not satisfied with the compromises I have been forced to make.

The FanEdit community could not care less about this particular FanEdit because no-one is wearing a mask, swinging from a whip or using a light saber.

Zulu Dawn: The FanEdit has gone through previews with some people familiar with the original movie and some not. Generally the response was good especially concerning the final battle.

This leaves the question of release. I am in two minds.
Sawubona

Although not in my favorite "style" of music, the version of "The Minstrel Boy" done by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros has to be one of the most emotive tunes ever used in a war flick. Preempted for Black Hawk Down, it seems even more appropriate to Isandlwana than it does to Mogadishu. I for one can't hear it without my imagination's camera panning slowly across the wreckage on that mountain at sunset.
Rock Savage

I think using modern/popular music or instrumentation for a film set in an era before recorded music can be problematic. Vangelis synthesized score for The Bounty (1984) is a prime example.

I have used portions of lesser know musical scores by John Barry, re-edited and re-arranged them but at one point I switch to Zulu percussion music.
Haydn Jones

Well chaps, I'm not usually one to blow my own vuvuzela but just to say I have actually used Brothers in Arms as background music to some camcorder footage I shot at Isandlwana. Granted some of the camera work is a bit shaky - ungifted amateur as I am - but as a soundtrack, I think the piece works rather well; even if I do say so myself Rolling Eyes It's nice to know I am on the same artistic wavelength as other members of this forum! Wink
Coll

John

Listened to 'A Piper To The End' - Excellent.

RS

I feel the lyrics of 'Brothers In Arms' are quite apt for Isandlwana.

As for releasing the FanEdit, now is as good a time as any, because there is a chance that, the more you alter and add, it may actually make you even less satisfied with the end product.

If anything, there are quite a few fans of 'Zulu Dawn' here, who could put forward suggestions, if you wish, after viewing.

Coll

PS. There are 2 versions of 'Zulu Dawn' on dvd - the first by 'Mosaic', which isn't the best, but the other by 'Arrow Films' is far superior, wider screen and better quality.

Does the FanEdit work with either version ? - though choice-wise, the latter (Arrow Films) is recommended.
Rock Savage

Coll,

The master for this FanEdit is the French release PAL Region 2 DVD L'ultime attaque, which is the only version I have found available that has the correct Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 - 16/9 and crisp image transfer.

The FanEdit is finished. There has been no more altering or adding since the three preview sessions in May 2010.
John Young

Andrew,

Try his Done with Bonaparte another good tune and history lesson of the Grand Army.

For another history lesson from MK try Sailing to Philadelphia about Messr.'s Mason & Dixon, look for duet version between Mark Knopfler & James Taylor.

Saw',

Try Sharon Corr's version of The Minstrel Boy it is haunting.

Personally I'd go for Nimrod by Elgar for Isandlwana at sunset.

RS,

I'd go for Romeo & Juliet but I can't think where I'd work that one into Zulu Dawn!

John Y.
Coll

RS

I only know one member of the forum who has that dvd version of 'Zulu Dawn'.

I'm not sure how to acquire it, as I don't/can't order from any of the amazon or ebay sites.

However, if the FanEdit becomes available, I'll try and obtain the right dvd.

Thanks for the info

Coll
Rock Savage

Coll wrote:
I'm not sure how to acquire it, as I don't/can't order from any of the amazon or ebay sites. However, if the FanEdit becomes available, I'll try and obtain the right dvd.

This version is from Amazon.fr.

All you need, to watch Zulu Dawn: The FanEdit, is to own ONE of any official version of the film say on VHS, DVD or even Laserdisc.

Owning the UK or US DVD, even the one given away free in the paper, permits you the right to watch the FanEdit.
Coll

RS

My apologies, a misunderstanding on my part. Embarassed

I'm sure there are many more than I, who are very keen to see the FanEdit.

Coll
Rock Savage

Coll,

Over the weekend, I will upload the Zulu Dawn: FanEdit DVD to a file sharing site and PM you the links.

Maybe you could write a review of it for RDVC members before a general release? Smile
Coll

RS

I very much appreciate what you say in your post, but I don't have very much 'clout' with my fellow enthusiasts on this forum, as such, it won't matter what I think, or in giving a review/opinion on the FanEdit of 'Zulu Dawn', as I'm sure they will make up their own minds.

Therefore, may I suggest that you make the FanEdit available to all members of this and the other forums (there is another Zulu War site and Victorian Wars forum) and see what happens.

Thanks

Coll
Rock Savage

OK Coll, I would just like to say your support of this project has been greatly appreciated. Smile

Last edited by Rock Savage on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ZULU DAWN: The FanEdit