rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colour Sgt Bourne medals in Zulu film
Zulu1

Could someone please let me know the two medals Nigel Green was wearing in the Zulu film. Thank you.
Martin Everett

Left to Right - Coronation 1902 (in silver - but only awarded to senior officials and service officers - bronze version for senior NCOs and soldiers); Africa General Service Medal (1902) or could be East and West Africa Medal (1892) or could be the Ashantee Medal (1874) - all three have similar ribbon, but as this has no clasp then probably Ashantee Medal.

Bourne - had no medals at the time of the defence of RD - later OBE (military 1918), DCM, South Africa Medal (clasp 1877-8--9), India General Service (1854) with clasp Burma 1887-89.

Rob D

Martin,
Glad that's cleared up!
But on a serious note: if the real CS Bourne (or anyone else for that matter) had been awarded decorations or medals at that time, would he have worn them on active service or in action - or would he just have worn the ribbons?
Rob
Zulu1

Thanks Martin.
Rob- Sergeant Bourne would not have worn medals on his duty uniform. Moreover, Green's costume has the chevrons on the wrong arm.
Martin Everett

We could go on - no '24' on epulettes, helmet plate when it should be a shako plate, wrong pattern buff belt, the design of the collar is not correct.....

Jeff Dickinson

Actually the Medal on the left is not the 1902 Coronation but the Army Temperance Medal. The ribbon attached is very similar to the Coronation medal ribbon but the dimensions of the white border strips are off. (I suspect a �prop mock up�ribbon) This is much easier to spot in some of the close up black and white still shots. I know that sounds a little anal but I spent a lot of time identifying them in the past.

Kind Regards, Jeff
Rob D

Thanks for clarifying that CS Bourne would not have worn his decorations/medals with his duty uniform - but would he have had ribbons? Or did they come later?
Rob
Jeff Dickinson

I should be more specific as there were many different Temperance Medals issued. It�s the Army Temperance Medal for India. Dated on the reverse 1897.

Jeff
Colour Sgt Bourne medals in Zulu film