rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
R Cheesman ASC kia Isandhlwana?
Julian whybra

There are several websites relating to casualties at Isandhlwana, almost all of them plagiarising Forsyth's old roll, They Fell like Stones, or England's Sons for their content. However, I've come across two which include a T/1048 Lance-Corp R Cheesman Army Service Corps being kia at Isandhlwana. He's not on any of the official rolls or listed anywhere else as far as I know and no source is given on the two websites concerned (which contain multiple identifiable errors) but Chees(e)man is not someone I can pin down. Can anyone help identify this man and give confirmation of his being kia with a reliable source? Thanks in advance.
Graves1879

Hi Julian

I know this is not much help, but I have found 1048 R Cheesman on the medal roll

John Young

Julian & Andy,

What I found hard to comprehend that according to Strickland's medal submission Cheesman did not fight against the Zulu, only against Sekhukhune. Strickland's submission was recorded in 1880 and he shows the word -do- for ditto beneath the word Serving from the previous entry.

Another hand other than the one which compiled Strickland's submission has added Killed and what appears to be Medal here. I wonder if Cheesman died after the medal was issued possibly in the 1st Anglo-Boer War?

John Y.
Julian whybra

Thanks both of you. It looks by no means certain thus far that Cheesman was kia at Isandhlwana. By the way I can't quite read what it says at the end of the phrase in the column beginning 'Whether engaged against Sekukuni as per...'
Can you enlighten?
Coll

Julian

I assumed it to be '....per found in para II of G.O.'

Coll
Julian whybra

That's given me the clue Coll; it's actually "as set forth in Para. II of G. O."
Thanks.
diagralex

Julian

Following John's hint about the 1st Boer war, I have found 2nd Corporal R. Cheeseman A.S.C. who was attached to the Kings Dragoon Guards.
He was killed at Laing's Nek serving with the cavalry.

regards Graham
Graves1879

Hi All

I have checked today the Armed forces deaths 1796-1994 list at the Records Office and found R Cheesman died 1881 in Natal.
Julian whybra

Thanks to all especially Diagralex. I've also found that the error occurred via Tavender's book (the source of many an error) which both websites used verbatim.
R Cheesman ASC kia Isandhlwana?