rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Buying a Martini-Henry
spikesmith

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to get hold of a MH in firing condition. An original woud be preferable, but a decent replica would be OK. Anyone know where I could get one and what I'd need to pay? I presume that ammunition is unavailable and that self-loading is required. If so, how do I go about this?

Mike Snook

Hello Spike

A good bet would be to scroll through some of the topics and when you have found him send a private message to Neil Aspinshaw. Also there are enthusiasts sites on the web which you should hit by searching Martini-Henry.

Mike
Sawubona

Spike,
I passed through London in late September (24th and 25th) and was fortunate that my overnight at The Thistle London Heathrow coincided with the 75the London Antique Arms Fair. Sadly, I didn't have the hours to expend viewing the extensive offerings at my first British "gun show", but my preconceived notion that English gun laws result in a wasteland for collectors was completely wrong! There was one seller there displaying at least a dozen Martinis of various marks-- all at what would be reasonable/slightly-high prices here and many more spotted throughout the venue. The 76th London Fair is on Friday and Saturday, the 28th and 29th of April at the Hotel Ibis in Earls Court, London and if you could possibly get there I'm sure you would have an opportunity to hob-nob with MH owners and sellers. There's a web-site listed in my flyer as www.antiquearmsfairsltd.co.uk, if you're interested in further information. Good luck!
Sawubona

Addendum: For some reason double clicking on that link doesn't work, but cut and paste it into your browser and you'll arrive just fine. Go figger.
Adrian Whiting

Spike,

If you would like to contact me off forum I will try and assist you with how to approach reloading for the MHR.

Alan
Site Admin

If you chaps check the MARKETPLACE on this site you'd see about six MHs for sale. Idea
Not to mention the Martini Henry site in our LINKS.

Alan
Buying a Martini Henry Rifle
PaulB

Check out this link to a US company that bought a boat load of MH stuff from Nepal.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/29_61/products_id/918
MH Ammo
PaulB

baztaylor

Bapty, the film armourers who supplied the guns for the film Zulu, have several MH's for sale in various makes and qualities. Try giving them a ring.

Cheers

Barry
Michael Boyle

For anyone interested it is possible to acquire a Nepal 'scatter-gun' converted (can't chamber a slug round) MKI for $350 USD from the above. Virtually identical and to my thinking anything is better than nothing even with limited finances!

MAB
Whick MK
ayr41

Excuse my ignorance but going on from buying a Martini I read there were 4 MH models, I assume the MK 1 or MK 2 would have been used at Rorke's drift and Isandlwana would this be correct
Adrian Whiting

Dear ayr41,

There are some previous posts on this, but to paraphrase them here - the very strongest probability is that the type of MHR in use with the 24th Regt was the MkI upgraded to MkII. The MkI upgraded to MKII is distinctly identifiable from a new manufacture MkII.

Sawubona

The MK I Martini had a lot of problems that came to light when used on active service. Many of these issues were resolved in the MK II and each time a MK I came in for service, it was "upgraded". The end result was that a MK I MH (like a hooked quillion Enfield bayonet) is now much rarer in its "unimproved" version. So if you can get a hold of a MK I, do so and swap it for three or four MK II's. That being said, look at the Roman Numerals under the QVC (the Queen Victoria Crown on the right hand side of the receiver): If there's just a "I" and it's centered under the crown, you're looking at a real deal MK I (!); if there's a "II" centered under the crown, it was made as Mark II. and it there's a "II" under the crown, but it offset to the right, then it's a Mark I that's been upgraded because the second "I" was added next to the existing centered "I". The date stamped is the original date of manufacture and might not have a lot of bearing on the IDing of the rifle in its present condition.
spikesmith

I'm not certain if this is a reliable indicator of a MkI/II conversion but, on my (newly acquired) weapon, there's a slot on the right hand side of the trigger guard where the safety (a feature on the MkI - I believe) has been removed. Anybody know where I can get a few spares, to whit: the securing screw on the left end of the cocking indicator and a suitable cleaning rod (the existing one has the screw portion broken. or cut, off).

Also, what's the best way to clean the metal and furniture? Is there any way to replace the 'Blued' (Known, I believe, as 'browning') finish? Any info gratefully (avidly) accepted

MHR
Wm Power

Spike!! STOP!!! Do not even THINK of refinishing The Metal !! This will,absolutely,destroy the value,a"BUBBA"job!! You have the body[reeciever] of the "UNICORN",a MkI 1st Pattern! Go to the homepage of this great site& click on Martini-Henry! Try LINKS. MartiniHenryForum.com! PLEASE DO NOT EVEN TOUCH THIS WITHOUT SEEKING ADVISE !!!Best Regards! Bill Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Buying a Martini-Henry