rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Rising
Dewi Evans

I have just received my copy Ian Knight's new book " Zulu Rising". All I need now is time to read it, all 698 pages worth Very Happy

Dewi.
Zulu Rising
Robert John

Same here, Dewi -- I have only read the introduction and am already reluctant to put it down !

Robert

Dewi/Robert

Quick word before my profile is finally deleted.

I too have obtained this book, now being a third of the way through, but as yet nothing really new has been covered, although well-written as one would expect from Ian.

However, the new less-known portrait photo of Col. Durnford is great, showing his determined appearance spot on. Very Happy

Hopefully, the next two-thirds will be eye-opening, when covering Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, especially the former.

This may be the last book on the subject(s) I get, as I think it is a good final coverage of them for me, thereafter I will await the new Durnford biography with anticipation, and also the other title I hope might become fact.

Additionally, Peter Q. & Ron L.'s paper of which I'm very interested in reading.

Coll
Peter Quantrill

Coll,
Please let me have your new e-mail address if you have a moment.
Peter
Haydn Jones

Paul Bryant-Quinn

Coll wrote:

I too have obtained this book, now being a third of the way through, but as yet nothing really new has been covered, although well-written as one would expect from Ian.

Coll - I think you'll find that even in the sections you have read of Ian's book there is a great deal of new material.
Haydn Jones

Paul

I agree with you.

Kind regards

H
Haydn Jones

The Sunday Times (29 August) Culture Supplement includes a section on Zulu Rising and describes it, inter alia, as "an exceptional book" and a " first class work of military history, not least for its evocative and extensive use of Zulu sources".

H
Zulu Rising
Robert John

Have just finished it !
I will leave it up to the " experts " to discuss the pros and cons of the book, suffice to say it is a hell of a read, not least because of involving the reader in many of the characters involved.
To my untrained eye there is a huge amount of new material especially as Ian has used many Zulu sources.
Ian, wherever you are, congratulations -- it is superb and will grace the bookshelves of many an AZW enthusiast I think.

Robert

Peter Q

Now that it is sorted, if still okay with you, I'll send you a private message with my new e-mail address.

Paul

I didn't find myself 'tripping over' said new material whilst reading the book, which did run smoothly and clearly from beginning to end.

However, I felt he occasionally ventured uneasily into the area of a novelist rather than a historian.

He did appear to repeat (to me anyway) a few unproven facts.

The only comparison I can make is - that you can shuffle a pack of cards as many times as you like, but when all are placed face-up, they are always the same, just in a different order.

This is just my opinion.

C.J. (Coll)
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Denton Van Zan / CJ / Coll / whoever you are:

I look forward with great interest to your detailed review of Zulu Rising.
Denton Van Zan

Paul

My post was in response to yours.

It was only my view as I stated at the end.

I made it very clear who I am, as I told Alan I would, the username and initials I am using now isn't some sort of trick.

I'm sensing some hostility in your post(s), which I don't understand, but if it is because I have a few negative points about Ian's book, then your tone is unnecessary.

Where would be the fairness to other authors, if I point out negatives in theirs, but not in Ian's ?

It is one viewpoint - my own - which is absolutely insignificant against the thousands of readers with the same book(s).

I'm sorry you seem to feel some kind of animosity towards me, but if there wasn't any sort of opposite view, discussions would be short, boring or non-existent.

I hoped my post might start one, rather than be spoiled immediately by such a reaction.

C.J.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Denton Van Zan / CJ / Coll

I must admit that I don't particularly like web-names, much less the use of multiple web-names by the same person. My real name is up there, as are those of most of the serious contributors to this site. Who are you?

However, be that as it may: my problem is not that you happen to disagree with what a particular author writes - you have a perfect right to your views - but that you do so in terms of breathtaking generality. You feel that Knight "... ventured uneasily into the area of a novelist rather than a historian". A serious charge against someone who is, whether you agree with his conclusions or not, nevertheless a serious historian.

Time for you to "put up", as they say: in what way(s) does this author neglect historiography and venture uneasily into the area of a novelist? I look forward with great anticipation to the opportunity of learning from your scholarship.
Denton Van Zan

Paul

My real name as you should know is Coll, my real first initials are C.J., both used commonly in my everyday life - Denton Van Zan is a username for my own use - as I need to keep a note of all my various memberships and passwords, whilst removing old details, and as I wished a new password to match in with my new e-mail address, I wished a new username as a fresh start.

There is a saying - 'a change is as good as a holiday ' - well I haven't had a holiday for many years, so this slight alteration to my usual daily routine, will have to do.

I thought I had somehow proven myself to be a (very) serious enthusiast and regular contributor the past 5+ years, that such a trivial matter would be accepted for what it is - a break from the norm for myself.

I can see the way this topic is going, so I'm not posting on it again at present, until it corrects itself by getting back on track.

C.J.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

@Denton Van Zan / CJ / Coll

As far as I can tell, the thread is firmly on track. Please allow me to repeat my question, in the hope that you will enlighten me: in what way, or ways, does Ian Knight neglect historiography and venture uneasily into the area of a novelist?
Zulu Rising