rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
"THE" AZW Book
rich

I've been asked to provide some AZW books to an enthusiast. Many are wanted and no doubt my whole collection could go but really that's not happening.....I can only buy one. Any suggestions on that ONE absolute book which discusses the war and the battles? What would you give? Thanks ahead!
PS..The Archives can be considered "one book" by some I guess but please I am only a workingman...... Wink

Rich

One book - what would I give? That is quite a question you have posed!

If it were solely in respect of events leading up to 22 January 1879 then I would probably look no further than Ian Knight's latest, Zulu Rising.

But I take it from your post that you are looking for something that covers the war in it's entirety and in that respect, Brave Men's Blood, by the same author springs to mind. However, if you are giving the book as a gift you will no doubt be looking for something with an added WOW! factor. That was certainly my reaction when I was given a copy of the late David Rattray's A Soldier Artist in Zululand. A stunning book to own although by no means comprehensive in its coverage of the battles; that is in no way implied criticism, it is simply the nature of the book.

In my opinion a good compromise would be the Ian knight/Ian Castle publication, The Zulu War Then and Now; reasonably priced, good coverage of all the battles, bags of photos and maps, a "Battlefields Today" section and a section on "Film and the Zulu War". That would be my choice and I am sure would be well received by any AZW enthusiast.

Hope this helps!

H
Peter Ewart

Rich

I agree with Haydn. If it has to cover the whole war, and present a general but reasonably detailed account, then Brave Men's Blood still fits the bill, especially if his/her AZW library is not yet extensive. It also has the advantage of containing a considerable number of illustrations, and - if the enthusiast is to be encouraged to widen his/her knowledge by further reading - the excellent bibiographical essay at the back will also help.

Again agreeing with Haydn, Knight & Castle's Then & Now comes in virtually "equal first." There have been many wonderful AZW works published before and since these two appeared, but from what you have told us so far, either of these two will do the job. If illustrations are less important, Laband's Kingdom in Crisis does the job superbly and his Rope of Sand would also provide the whole background too.

Just as important, of course, would be strict instructions to join this forum!

Peter
The Scorer

It's quite amazing that this question has been asked (and answered) now, as I have been meaning to ask it myself for a while.

I've got (or have read) several books, but most of them do tend to concentrate on Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift. Therefore, I too would like to find an overall book, so your advice is both timely and much appreciated - thank you.

Smile
rich

Thanks very much for all your inputs. I'll choose a book from those and it'll be given as a gift. And of course I haven't 'forgotten' any of the books penned by others who frequent this forum. I just think that those may follow after the 'big picture" gets put initially on the AZW canvas.