rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
RD defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Hi Forum

With the continued absence of the excellent KLH website (where did it go?), I would be grateful if someone could remind me which of the 3 RD defenders are laid to rest in Newport Cemetery. I'm fairly certain Alfred Saxty is one of them but I've forgotten the other two.

Many thanks

Paul Whitehead
Martin Everett

You can add defenders Cpl John Lyons and Pte John Murphy. There are at least 3 other AZW soldiers of 24th - Pte John Cronin, Pte Daniel Grace and Pte Dennis Murphy.

RD Defender's Graves
whiteheadalfie

Thank you Martin

My somewhat erratic memory tells me there is a second RD defender buried in the same Manchester cemetery as Pte. William Jones VC? Am I correct in this assumption please?

Are you fully conversant with the rules on photographing RD defender's graves? If you ask an ex- Army mate to bag one for you (because he lives in that part of the country), is it cheating? Can't find anything in Queen's Regulations and there doesn't seem to have been a DCI put out!

Many thanks

Paul
Martin Everett

25B/1304 Pte Joshua Lodge is the name you are seeking.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

RD Defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Thank you again Martin
RD Defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Hi Forum

If anyone ever kept a list of the locations of the known graves of RD defenders, I would be extremely grateful for a copy of it. This would save me from continually bothering Martin Everett whenever I need information.

Many thanks

Paul Whitehead
The Scorer

Martin Everett wrote:
You can add defenders Cpl John Lyons and Pte John Murphy. There are at least 3 other AZW soldiers of 24th - Pte John Cronin, Pte Daniel Grace and Pte Dennis Murphy.

I know where the graves of Alfred Saxty, John Lyons and John Murphy are in St Woolos Cemetery. However, I'm not aware of where those for John Cronin, Daniel Grace and Dennis Murphy are - can you help, please?

Thank you.

Smile
Paul Bryant-Quinn

25B/963 Pte 'David Lewis' (James Owen) was buried in Bethal Cemetery, Ty Coch, Sketty, Swansea.
RD Defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Thank you Paul

Another one for the list.

Regards

Paul
Peter Ewart

Paul W
Which ones do you still need/don't you have? Is it the whole lot you're after or are there just a few remaining to fill in? In the current absence of the KLH, are you proposing to go over the same ground to compile another list? It's not quite clear (to me) from your posts.

It may be that Rai England, one of the original KLH, can help with some information, and there are quite a few details in the various sections on this website about RD defenders, including last resting places - or is it just those in South Wales or Manchester which interest you?

Of course, a few locations continued to elude the efforts even of the KLH, which suggests a small (but considerable) rump of "tough nuts" will remain, mainly as a result of difficulties in tracing these men in later life. I've had a fair crack at following 1497 Pte Wall (as has Lee Stevenson) after his release from the lunatic asylum but without much in the way of concrete results. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has run him to ground.

Peter
RD defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Hi Peter

I have actually only "bagged" a few. Cpl Allen, Francis Attwood, Chard, George Edwards, Cpl Graham, Henry Hook, Robert Jones, Henry Martin & Sgt Edward Wilson. When KLH disappeared my interest got put on the backburner.

However, the redoubtable Kris Wheatley has pointed me in the direction of the following website: hhtp//1879zuluwar.talk-forums.com/forum.htm. This has a graves section with input from Rai England. This, combined with info from Kris's excellent "Legacy" series should help to put me back on course.

Has anybody any ideas how I would get, probably the most difficult one of all, Pte. William Halley in Thayetmayo, Burma?

Regards

Paul
RD defender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Peter

I have just realised I didn't really answer your question......I am only doing this for personal interest. There's no book planned or a website under construction. In fact I'm cheating because where possible I'm asking others to take photographs. Not really cricket.

If there's any member living in or visiting Cape Town who can get me George Mabin in Maitland Cemetery, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Paul
Peter Ewart

Paul

Thanks for the above. I wasn't quite sure whether you were after all of them, or just some. I'm still not 100% sure whether your aim is to discover the location, or to visit them, or to snap them, although I suspect it's a case of the first two aims being a means to achieve the third?

Yes, Rai and Kris should certainly be able to add to your collection. I'm just trying to think whether there were any RD defenders buried at my end of Kent but can't recall any offhand, although there are/were several around here connected with Isandlwana.

Good hunting/snapping!

Peter
RD DEfender's graves
whiteheadalfie

Hi Peter

The only RD defender who comes anywhere close to your part of the world (as far as I know) is C/Sgt Bourne in Elmer's End but this still seems some distance away.

Regards

Paul
Alan
Site Admin

When I visited Elmer's End, Bourne was described in their leaflet as a VC recipient.
There are other notable residents there, including Thomas Crapper, reputed to have invented to the flush toilet. Hence...