rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Boar War documentary by Kenneth Griffith
Andrew Bush

I have the documentary Black as Hell Thick as Grass by K Griffith, but I seem to remember him doing similar documentary on the Boar War. Does anyone know of it and if so can it be purchased anywhere.

Many thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

My late friend Ken did three documentaries on the 2nd Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

Soldiers Of The Widow in 1967; Sons Of The Blood: The Great Boer War, 1899-1902 in 1972 and The Boer War which aired in 1999.

I know some of his other work is available on DVD, but I'm not aware of any of his Anglo-Boer War work being available.

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Andrew

I think some of this Boer War material is on Youtube, as I've watched some of it there. Not as convenient or as comfortable as watching on DVD, of course, but once one starts it's not easy to stop!

I found both this material and BaHTaG extremely interesting but felt that each was primarily - or, indeed, only - a vehicle for disseminating his very strong anti-imperialist views, which I can only assume he felt needed to be aired urgently at that time, 30 to 40 years ago. As such, I believe that he may have fallen into the trap of viewing 19th century policies through mid- to late 20th century eyes. Although his work is a very strong reminder of the need to look at imperialism from the point of view, also, of the "other side" at the time (an approach with which I agree strongly and with which I like to think I'm reasonably well read) which is something he no doubt felt was necessary at that time, I'd hazard a guess that this is a little less necessary today, although perhaps his work helped to open eyes at that time?

I still think it's a little unfortunate, though, that each British ("English" to Ken!) political or senior military figure involved is caricatured in script and speech (Ken's) as a blimpish aristocrat with a vicious bent, and thereby loses that balance we look for in a reliable documentary. I see these films as material which would entirely convince his contemporaries in the art world, and no doubt much of the general public, but not necessarily the historian. It is not the research I have doubts on, merely the methods used when Ken puts over his views.

At least, these were my first impressions, but I'll have another look when I get a minute! I've mentioned these misgivings of mine to one or two others but would be interested to hear what others here think.

Peter
Boar War documentary by Kenneth Griffith