rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
HCMDB and LWOTF Paberback Editions
mike snook 2

Morning all

Promised some time ago to let you know when HCMDB and LWOTF were available in paperback. They now are and are available from amazon and from Frontline/Pen&Sword. Websites various refer. HCMBD has a new preface to the second edition. Both books contain minor corrections and some nuances, though not sufficient to warrant re-acquiring them if you own first editions already in my opinion - unless you really are a hardcore collector and just have to have it because it exists!!

There are also a limited number of hardback LWOTFs available from the publisher's website.

For them wot's interested in the Sudan, Go Strong into the Desert, my illustrated history of the Mahdist Uprising, is available from perry-miniatures.com Don't be put off by the fact that it's a wargaming firm - the book is a history book from beginning to last. 75000 words of histroy and beautifully illustrated. Full details are available at the Perrys site - so I won't blather about it here. Quite proud of it though - and if you wondered what Abu Klea looks like (I recall we had a number of conversations about the battle here) then the book contains what I think is the only published photography of the battlefield.

Regards as ever

Mike
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good afternoon Mike

If the only substantial differences between the first and second editions of HCMDB are the preface and corrections to which you refer, would it be cheeky to ask if those of us who bought the first edition (I bought two copies, as it happens) might be able somehow to access the text of these?

Regards,

Paul
Martin Everett

Mike,

Thanks for plugging Amazon - they need our support.

Alan
Site Admin

Mike,

it's one thing advertising the paperback versions of your Zulu War books, but it's a little too far to list your other books.

Alan

As someone with an interest in the Sudan (blame Charlton Heston and Khartoum) I found Mike's post beneficial I'm not a wargamer so probably would not have heard about the book from another source.

So as a service to forum members, Mike's post was helpful - to me at least.

Peter
PRS

Sorry Alan, but I agree with PeterW

Mikes books always well worth the money and I would never have come across it on a wargames site.

Regards
PRS

Site Admin

Maybe in Off-Topic?

All

Not sure how the recent topic about Mike's new book has been missed, which includes a link to Perry Miniatures, but also mention of further details supplied by Mike in the VWF, where a detailed topic has been ongoing about the subject.

C.J.
AMB

Alan,

Maybe off-topic, but certainly very useful to me also. Not least as I'm looking fwd to seeing Mike's photos of our little trip to Abu Klea!

Regards as ever,

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Usefulness is not the criteria. We have a policy of no unauthorised advertising and this was close to that. I'd like contributors to be aware of this, that's all.

Alan

Fair point - I hadn't appreciated that aspect.

Peter
mike snook 2

Alan

I am mortified..... I intended I assure you merely a brief parish notice to a community of Victorian enthusiasts, many of whom correspond with me asking about such things. There is a real advertising campaign throughout the English speaking world by a company that doesn't have to try too hard. The book will sell out without the slightest help from rdvc or from me. It was your membership I was thinking of. Please feel free to delete the 'advertisement', but I thought we all knew each other better than that. Your shout. I don't care either way.

Regards

Mike

P.S. That must be the first ever advert that advises against buying something!
AMB

Alan,

As ever, you make a very fair point.

AMB

PS. If it weren't for this forum and its members, my library would be far less well stocked - I have much to thank you for!

PPS. And regardless of his 'negative' ad, Mike's latest will soon be added to my shelves(!).
Alan
Site Admin

Mike,

I've no intention of deleting anything. Just keeping an eye on things.

Sorry you were mortified. I thought I'd lost the ability to do that these days.