rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lord Beresford VC
ANDY LEE

Please does anyone out there have a photo or location of Lord Beresford VC headstone. I believe it's at the Beresford's family home near Waterford, Ireland but after two failed attempts I can not find the location of his grave.

Thanks

Andy Lee

Martin Everett

Here are my notes:

BERESFORD, Lord William Leslie de la Poer, Captain, V.C., 9th (Queen�s Royal) Lancers (1847-1900) Awarded Victoria Cross for gallantry the day before the Battle of Ulundi. Born in Mullaghbrack, County Armagh, (now Northern) Ireland, the third son of the 4th Marquis of Waterford. After schooling at Eton College (1858-63) and further study in Bonn, he joined the 9th Lancers as a cornet in June 1867 and was promoted to lieutenant in 1870. An excellent horseman, he became a member of the Regiment�s polo team. In 1874 his Regiment sailed for India, where he was appointed A.D.C. to the Viceroy, Lord Lytton. Promoted captain in 1876, he then served in the Afghan War (1877-7Cool. Coming to South Africa on leave of absence, he was attached to Buller�s Frontier Light Horse. During the reconnaissance before Ulundi on 3 July 1879, he rode to the rescue of Sergeant John Fitzmaurice (1/24th, attached to the Imperial Mounted Infantry). In a confused state, Fitzmaurice refused or was unable to get up behind Beresford, who swore at him and dragged him onto his horse. As the Zulus closed in on them Sergeant Edmund O�Toole came to their rescue, shooting any Zulus who came close. Later, when notified of the award of the Victoria Cross, Lord Beresford refused it unless O�Toole was similarly honoured, which was done. Between 1882 and 1894, he served as Military Secretary to three Viceroys of India, Lords Ripon, Dufferin and Lansdowne and was made a K.C.I.E. for his services. Devoted to sport in every form, he had plenty of it while in India, where he broke his collar-bone five times (to say nothing of three times in England) at polo, pig-sticking and horse racing. In 1895 he married Lily Price, daughter of a U.S. Navy Commodore and the widow of the 9th Duke of Marlborough, and they had a son. Lord Beresford reached the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and his horse-racing stable became world renowned before he died of peritonitis at Deepdene, Dorking in Surrey. He was buried in the family vault at Clonagem Church, Curraghmore, County Waterford, Ireland.

ANDY LEE

Thank you Martin.

My records do have buried in the family vault at Clonagem Church, Curraghmore, County Waterford, Ireland, but trying to find the place is a nightmare, I've tried and friend has tried but can we locate his grave Crying or Very sad

Andy

Galloglas

Vault burial will not usually provide separate memorials outside the vault itself. Nor, in Irish churches, are the vaults necessarily named or identifiable by name or location.

For example, St Michan's Church in Dublin has several unnamed vaults, many simply providing overflow space for minor members of families whose main vaults have simply filled up at other sites.

G
Galloglas

And, in the good old days, the Keynsham Light Horse would no doubt have ridden to your rescue.

G
Lord Beresford VC