rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Mrs Glyn's Remark About Col. Pulleine 24th
Denton Van Zan

I'm surprised Ian Knight 'picked up' on this comment, taking a darker view of what it suggested - as I always thought it was to do with him having a gentle nature, thinking she may have found it upsetting he was involved in such a tragic and bloody event.

'Zulu Rising' page 320 -

'One exception is an odd remark by Mrs Glyn, after his (Pulleine) death; she must have known him well in the regimental family, and after Isandlwana suggested he might have willingly escaped the bloodletting, and 'would be found behind a wagon-wheel or a large stone.'

'...why she said it remains a mystery - certainly nothing has emerged to justify it. Perhaps to Mrs Glyn, Pulleine's administrative posts made him pall in contrast with his more glamorous front line fellow officers.'

As Durnford has been already well covered, concerning the compounding of the wrong idea about his state-of-mind on the day, it seems only fair to put forward the other commanding officer and what idea is thought his state-of-mind was on the day.

C.J.
Simon

I have always thought of the Mrs Glyn quote as being due someone struggling to come to terms with the death of a friend, like they are almost in 'denial'.

I have never really seen anything sinister in it, i.e. alluding to cowardice

Cheers

Simon
Denton Van Zan

Simon

Thanks for your reply, as I think it will be the only one on this topic.

I wonder who will speak up when Mrs Glyn's comment about Pulleine is viewed extremely negatively and presented as fact by a future author, the same way Henderson's was about Durnford, becoming yet another modern myth ?

The objections to such an event would be fast, furious and many.

Hence, the constant unbalanced opinion of Durnford and Pulleine's characters/decisions and actions at Isandlwana.

A situation that will never ever be presented fairly. Sad

Thanks again.

C.J.
Julian whybra

My interpretation of her remark has always been the same of previous historians' views, i.e. that Pulleine was such a kindly, thoughtful man that she coudn't believe he was dead. I think that IK, for whatever reason, has read something into the remark which was not there.
Now...if Hamilton-Browne had said something along those lines or Crealock or someone else whose word could be doubted, the interpretation would be different again.
And if solid dependable Essex had said it, different yet again...
But Mrs. Glyn...I mean, I ask you.
Denton Van Zan

Julian

Do you not feel that the 'rules' of covering history, have been somewhat contorted in recent times, some reading into things stated in primary sources a more darker understanding ?

As you will have noticed, I've objected yet again about coverage given to Durnford's state-of-mind, which has been compounded in Ian's book.

What if a future author has a similar approach to Pulleine, whether about his state-of-mind on the day and/or focussing on Mrs Glyn's remark ?

We'll end up with a future publication, going on the strength of these modern myths, leaving readers coming away with the thought that Durnford was off-his-head, not knowing what he was doing, whilst Pulleine had a cowardly nature, spending the battle hiding somewhere - both aspects presenting a worrying concept.

If the reins don't get pulled back on this process, it will then beg the question, what else will happen to the Isandlwana story ?

I can't be the only one concerned about this, surely ?

C.J.
Rob D

It certainly seems an odd thing to say - was she hoping he'd turn up alive or commenting on the fact that his body hadn't been reported found?
Does anybody know:
Exactly what Mrs Glyn said? (Apart from the partial quote from Ian Knight's book cited above)
When she said it?
Who she said it to?
Rob
Julian whybra

Yes, Coll, I do agree. We live in an age where anyone in the public eye has to apologize or explain every unguarded comment. The public is used to it and expects (demands?) similar treatment from the past. Remarks taken out of context with all the connotations associated from a private friendship from the deep past have no hope of being explained and open themselves up to all sorts of potential conspiracy theories and innuendo. What fools we are.
Mrs Glyn's Remark About Col. Pulleine 24th