rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Documentaries
Ste303

I've only known about your site for a day or so, so please forgive me if this question has already been posed but......

Are there any documentaries either online or available on DVD that you recommend about the AZW?
ciscokid

Mate

I bought this and thought that it was very good.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/shop/rdvc/video.htm
Alan
Site Admin

You used to be able get it as DVD from the RRW museum shop.
Though I couldn't find it when I looked. You might contact them.

"Ste",
I agree with Cisco that this DVD is very good and that it's certainly worth contacting The Museum about this DVD. It's outstanding! There is an excerpt from it on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWYg5Wheeik.

I hope that posting that link is OK with you Alan. If not, please feel free to delete this post or let me know that it's out of line and I'll delete it myself.

Last edited by Sawubona on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

No problems there.

Greetings,

Here are a number of AZW-related motion pictures, television shows, digital video discs, and audio recordings that I am aware of, as contained in my forthcoming AZW bibliography. Sorry this message is a bit longer than intended.
Cheers,
Harold

---------------------------

2217. Campaigns in History: Rorke�s Drift. Okehampton, UK: Eagle Rock Productions, 2008. DVD NTSC (48 mins.).

2218. Campaigns in History: Rorke�s Drift, 1879 � Against All Odds. Chessington, UK: Castle Home Video, 2002. VHS Pal (56 mins.). This is the story behind the Defense of Rorke�s Drift, 22/23 January 1879. Narrated by Hu Pryce, it includes comments by Ian Knight. This item was released by Pegasus Studios as a DVD Pal (55 mins.) in 2005.

2219. Carruthers, Bob. Zulu Wars, 1879: The Disaster at Isandhlwana. Stratford-upon-Avon, UK: Cromwell Productions, 1998. Videotape, cassette, VHS, color (65 mins.). Written and produced by Bob Carruthers; directed by Graham Holloway; narrated by Robert Powell.

2220. Doig, Donna Wurzill. The Dunns of Mangete. Johannesburg: Betta Beta Communications, 1989. Video cassette, color (29 mins.). Written and researched by Donna Wurzill Doig; directed and photographed by Tommy Doig; production company, Tommy Doig Film Productions. Originally produced for South African Broadcasting Corporation TV1 English Documentary, this film features John Dunn and his role in Zululand history.

2221. Endfield, Cy, and John Prebble. Zulu. London: Diamond Films, 1964. Original production (138 mins.). Written by Cy Endfield and John Prebble; produced by Stanley Baker, Cy Endfield, Basil Keys, and Joseph E. Levine; directed by Cy Endfield. Starring Stanley Baker, Michael Caine, Jack Hawkins, Ulla Jacobsson, and James Booth. This classic action-packed film on the Battle of Rorke�s Drift, 22/23 January 1879, was released in Video and DVD by MGM in 2003.

2222. Endfield, Cy, and Anthony Story. Zulu Dawn. N.p.: Lamitas, 1979. Original production (115 mins.). Written by Cy Endfield and Anthony Story; produced by Nate Kohn and James Sebastian Faulkner; directed by Douglas Hickox. Starring Burt Lancaster, Peter O�Toole, Simon Ward, and Denholm Elliott. This movie was a �prequel� to the 1964 motion picture Zulu, and chronicled the British debacle at the Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879. It was released in DVD by Tango Entertainment in 2005.

2223. Griffith, Kenneth. �Black as Hell . . . Thick as Grass�: The Battle of Isandlhwana [sic] and Rorke�s Drift. London: British Broadcasting Corporation, 1979. VHS (60 mins.). This is a documentary of the Anglo-Zulu War, 1879, narrated by Kenneth Griffith and filmed on the actual battlefields in South Africa.

2224. Guy, Don. Isandlwana Zulu Battlefield. Pietermaritzburg: Sebenza Productions, n.d. DVD. Original production. This is about the Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879.

2225. Knight, Ian. Blood Mountain: Re-enacting the Battle of Isandlwana. Huntingdon, UK: Countrywide Productions, 1999. VHS (45 mins.). Written and narrated by Ian Knight, this video provides a full account of the battle. It also tells the story of the adventures of a group of British military history enthusiasts who, in January 1999 -- 120 years after the event -- set out to walk in the footsteps of history and to re-enact the events at Isandlwana on the battlefield itself.

2226. Knight, Ian. �Wet with Yesterday�s Blood� A History of the Anglo-Zulu War. N.p., n.d. Audio tape (90 mins.). Written and narrated by Ian Knight, and produced by Geoff Dickson, this is the first part of an audio tape history of the Anglo-Zulu War, 1879.

2227. Lewis, Mark. Secrets of the Dead: The Mystery of Zulu Dawn. [London]: Optomen Television for Channel 4, 2001. videocassette (60 mins.). Produced and directed by Mark Lewis. This video revisits the Battle of Isandhlwana, 22 January 1879, and tries with the help of archaeologists on the ground, and by interviews with descendants of Zulu participants, to find out how the British Army with the latest weaponry were overcome by Zulu fighters armed only with spears and clubs.

2228. Line of Fire � Rorke�s Drift. Stratford-upon-Avon, UK: Cromwell Productions, 2003. VHS Pal (50 mins.). This provides a narrative of the Battle of Rorke�s Drift, 22/23 January 1879, from the perspective of Lt. John R.M. Chard, the commander of the defense. It includes reconstructions and expert analysis from Ed Yorke and Ian Knight.

2229. Lock, Ron, and Peter Quantrill. Isandlwana, Zulu Battlefield. N.p.: Zulu Battlefield Production, 2001. DVD Pal and NTSC (55 mins.). Written by Ron Lock; research and military advisor, Peter Quantrill; facilitated by Victor Hugo and Don Guy; creative director, Don Guy. This documentary movie depicts the Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879, and includes many scenes from the 1917 motion picture Symbol of Sacrifice.

2230. Machin, Ingrid. Prelude to War. Pinetown, South Africa: Edgewood, 1989. Video cassette.

2231. Millin, David. South African Battlefields: Blood River, Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. Rondebosch, South Africa: Fortress Network, n.d. VHS Pal, color (50 mins.).

2232. Rattray, David. The Day of the Dead Moon. Rorke's Drift,South Africa: Fugitives' Drift Productions, 1994-1997. Sound recording, five sound cassettes (c. 300 mins.). Written and narrated by David Rattray; produced by Dave Charles. Contents: part 1. Preamble to the Battle of Isandlwana; part 2. The Battle of Isandlwana; part 3. Chelmsford's story and the events of Fugitives' Drift; part 4. Rorke's Drift; and part 5. Ulundi -- the final chapter.

2233. Robinson, Tim. Zulu: The True Story � Timewatch. London: BBC2, 2003. DVD (50 mins.). Directed by Tim Robinson. This is reportedly �an account of the Zulu wars and how Lord Chelmsford covered up his military blunders by creating a legend around Rorke�s Drift.� Contributors include Ian Knight and Dr. Saul David.

2234. Rose, F. Horace. The Symbol of Sacrifice. Maritzburg: P. Davis & Sons, [1918]. Produced by I.W. Schlesinger, directed by Dick Cruickshanks, and starring Mabel May and Jack Montgomery, this film is �F. Horace Rose�s great national and patriotic drama of the Zulu War of 1879.�

2235. Sinclair, Joshua. Shaka Zulu. Los Angeles: Starz Home Entertainment, 2004. 4 DVD PAL (525 mins.). Written by Joshua Sinclair; produced by Ed Harper, Joshua Sinclair, and Leon Rautenbach; directed by William C. Faure. Starring Edward Fox, Robert Powell, Trevor Howard, Fiona Fullerton, Henry Cele, and Christopher Lee. This saga of the rise of the Zulu nation under Shaka was originally aired on television in 1986 as a ten-part mini-series.

2236. Sinclair, Joshua. Shaka Zulu � Last Great Warrior. Universal City, Calif.: Universal Studios, 2005. DVD NTSC, color (94 mins.). Written by Joshua Sinclair; starring Roger Alborough, Karen Allen, Linda Batista, Niven Boyd, Henry Cele, and David Hasselhoff. This is said to have been a sequel to Sinclair�s Shaka Zulu.

2237. Waxman, Richard C. Zulu Wars: Shaka � King of the Zulu/Blood River/Red Coat, Black Blood. N.p.: Good Times Video, 2003. DVD-Video, NTSC (161 mins.). Written by Caroline Daly and Richard C. Waxman; produced and directed by Richard C. Waxman.

2238. Zulu: The Epic Story of Courage, Honour and Pride. London: Diamond Films, 1963. Video cassette.

2239. The Zulu Wars. London: Simply Media, 2008. DVD PAL (165 mins.) This DVD covers Zulu history from the reign of Shaka through the Anglo-Zulu War, 1879.

2240. The Zulu Wars, 1879. The War File: The History of Warfare. Stratford-upon-Avon, UK: Cromwell Productions, 1996. DVD (55 mins.). Narrated by Robert Powell, commentary by David Chandler. This provides an overview of the 1879 Anglo-Zulu War.

2241. Zulu Wars � Twilight of the Zulu�s [sic]. Okehampton, UK: Eagle Rock Productions, 2005. DVD NTSC (48 mins.). This DVD covers the Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879.

2242. Zulu War�s [sic] � The Road to Isandlwana. Okehampton, UK: Eagle Rock Productions, 2008. DVD NTSC (49 mins.). This DVD provides a history of Zululand from Shaka to Cetshwayo, detailing the latter�s relationship with the British and Boers. This production includes commentary from Ian Knight, Ian Castle, and John Laband.

2243. Zulu War�s [sic] � The Washing of the Spears. Okehampton, UK: Eagle Rock Productions, 2008. DVD NTSC (49 mins.). This DVD begins with the Battle of Nyezane, then chronologically covers Isandlwana, Rorke�s Drift, Ntombe River, Hlobane Mountain, and ends with Khambula Hill. It includes commentary from Ian Knight, Ian Castle, and John Laband.
AMB

Ste303,

I have several documentaries on VHS video. If you still have [or ever had!] such a system, I'd happily send you what I have.

AMB
Sheldon Hall

Harold, your bibliography (and filmography) looks very good, but I note that you have included only the 2003 MGM release of "Zulu" on DVD and VHS (in the US). Perhaps you could add the 2002 and 2007 DVD releases by Paramount, along with the 2008 Paramount Blu-ray (all released everywhere in the world except the US), which all contain additional documentary and supplementary material? They are easily obtainable online and are far superior to the MGM disc. (I admit to having a special interest, as I was involved in the production of all three Paramount releases.)
Sheldon Hall

PS Is the item "Zulu: The Epic Story of Courage, Honour and Pride. London: Diamond Films, 1963. Video cassette." different from the previously mentioned entry on the film?
Harold Raugh

Sheldon, thank you very much for your helpful and informative response on the other editions of Zulu. I am afraid I am unable to make these corrections for the bibliography's first edition, as I submitted the manuscript to the publisher in May. I will keep this information in the event there is a second edition of the book.
I am sorry, but I don't quite understand your second comment. I'm not quite sure what you meant by the "previously mentioned entry on the film"? If you could kindly clarify this, I will respond the best I can.
Many thanks.
Cheers, Harold
John Young

Harold,

I believe that 2237 & 2239 are one & the same, narrated by John Hurt. Script consultant (as well as re-writing some of it) - John Young.

John Y.
Sheldon Hall

I meant something similar to John: entries 2221 and 2238 both appear to refer to the film "Zulu" (which was copyrighted in 1963 and released in 1964). If no. 2238 refers to something other than the film, I'm not clear what it might be.
rich

"...along with the 2008 Paramount Blu-ray (all released everywhere in the world except the US), which all contain additional documentary and supplementary material? They are easily obtainable online and are far superior to the MGM disc. (I admit to having a special interest, as I was involved in the production of all three Paramount releases.)

Hello Sheldon...
You know I finally picked up the blu-ray and had it shipped here. But I was surprised that there's nothing else but the film. No additional commentary nor supplementary stuiff at all. Is that how it goes for those discs coming to the US? I figured that if I ordered the copy I'd get everything the UK got. Did I receive a bum copy??? Thanks.

Rich, all the extras from the Region 2 two-disc special edition should be on the Blu-ray, and are on the edition available in the UK. Where did you get yours from?
rich

Yeah, from Jimmy Dagenham's DVD Emporium in York just off the High Street..... Wink ...

Sheldon...don't mind me but I must've been mixing up my blus. I checked my copy and yes it 's all there and you're all there! Time for me to revisit once again over the weekend! The color's are great. And oh btw I've been watching "The Third Man" again. I'd think it has to be still up there as the greatest British film, no? With each viewing I get more and more out of it.