rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Melvill VC and St Winnow
liz

Just to let you know that the Gardens of ETHY HOUSE (Lerryn, PL22 ONF) are open on Sunday 15th May from 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm. They are open to the public only once a year and the proceeds go the 'Friends of St Winnow Church'. This event is as part of the annual Daphne Du Maurier Festival held in Fowey, Cornwall, which this year runs from May 12th to 21st.
Liz
Peter Ewart

Liz

Hope they get plenty of visitors, enjoy lovely weather and raise plenty of funds. Perhaps some of our west-country members will make a trip. Can thoroughly recommend the beautiful setting of Ethy House to anyone thinking of going, along with the nearby St Winnow Church with the Melvill connections and Lerryn and Lostwithiel. The whole area is glorious walking country.

Although I see that the garden only is open, are there any reminders of the Melvill family in the house itself, Liz, that you're aware of? Any idea how long they were connected with it?

Peter
rich

The whole area is glorious walking country.

Yes as noted to me by Liz in an email. Through her I now know how to get to St Winnow! You see I was close yet so far to visit the small church. I took a turn and found myself going through narrower and narrower lanes in Lostwithiel. Pressed for time, I couldn't check that Winnow was just a few miles out from the town. As I told her I could kick myself... Wink ..I know though they'll be a next time for paying my respects to those that are buried in that small beautiful corner of England.

liz

Peter,

I am not sure how long the family were involved with Ethy House, but certainly at the time of Teignmouth's death there were three generations living there: his parents, his wife, and his two sons. The memorial in the Church mentions that his children were aged 4 years and 4 months when the news of his death came through. His parents, Philip and Eliza, both outlived him and are buried in the churchyard at St Winnow. As with my Durnford great-great grandfather, it takes little to imagine the rawness of grief that all the families of the soldiers would have felt at the news of the loss of their loved ones regardless of the roles they played in the Battle.

Liz
Martin Everett

Liz

Both sons prospered. Both awarded DSO. Teignmouth jnr - was also awarded an Olympic Gold Medal (Antwerp 1920) - other son Charles commanded NZ forces as Maj Gen after WW1.

Melvill VC and St Winnow