rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Soldiers of the Queen
Galloglas

Bit of a red herring by now but I vaguely remember that there was interest in tracking down the lyrics to 'Soldiers of the Queen'.

This seems likely to hit the spot:

http://www.musicsmiles.com/soldiers%20of%20the%20Queen.htm

G
Peter Ewart

G

And still used as the second half of the regimental quick march of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment here in C'bury (inherited from The Queen's Reg't, of course) the first half being Farmer's Boy (from the Hants). Although Farmer's Boy is possibly the finest regimental march of all time (once used by several regiments) and Soldiers of the Queen a very well known and popular score, it is sad that the modern successor regiment has swallowed up Sussex by the Sea (equally possibly the finest march of all time, altho' never officially the Royal Sussex's regimental march) and the Buffs Quick March (vernacular: Knife, Fork, Spoon), as these two are seldom played by the Kohima Band these days. (KB is the busy local territorial band - not even sure if there is a regimental band).

Still, that's progress, I suppose. Thank goodness for Youtube ...!
Galloglas

Down memoray lane indeed. Your mention of Sussex by the Sea remonds me of a supposedly true story about the former Academy Sergeant Major at Sandhurst JC (Jacky) Lord. Sussex by the Sea was a popular quick march on Academy Parades on Saturday mornings even in my day many years after his time there, particularly on cold days. Its structure provided many rests for the sections of the band and it was very easy to march to when carrying the rifle.

RSM Lord would frequently halt the parade, seize upon some unfortunate Cadet, and demand from him:
"Sir, what is my favourite quick march?".
The well known, correct, answer was:
"Sussex by the Sea, Sir!"
The parade would then resume, until he halted it again, asking another Cadet the question:
"Why is that, Sir?"
To which the expected answer was:
"Because you come from Lancashire, Sir"
Which RSM Lord aways found terribly funny. In the pecular ways of Sandhurst, this exchange was his way of indicating that the parade was going well and that he was pleased with everybody's efforts.
Incidentally, Peter, he was very fond of cricket and in my day could still be seen umpiring at Sandhurst.
I do like 'Sussex by the Sea' but both 'The Bold King's Hussar' and 'British Grenadiers' take a lot of beating.

Now, where were we.....?

G
AMB

Ah, when I was a [very young] Queen'sman...

Good times!

AMB
Soldiers of the Queen