rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

STRAW DOGS would have been a different film if ANYONE but Peckinpah had made it!
rich

heh heh I hear you Sheldon. I don't know. SD looks like the film that opened up alot of how can I say "new" topics?????????????????

I'm detecting a certain amount of innuendo here (and in a previous posting), which I can only assume implies that the rape scene is the film's principal source of appeal. I think there's rather more to it than that! In fact, I've devoted a lengthy analysis of the film (in a book called SEVENTIES British CINEMA) which defends it against accusations of sadism, misogyny, etc. So I wasn't being facetious or lecherous in calling it one of the great British (or Anglo-American) films.
peterw

Another one:

Get Carter

(The original)

Peter
rich

You know it appears Straw Dogs really pushed the envelope and other films also did as well when it came to showing particular views of sex, violence, rape etc, Clockwork Orange, Last Tango and Get Carter to name a few. And I'm eager to read your view Sheldon. I'll see if I can get it. As the Beatles changed music forever, I think Peckinpah helped change the kinds of subjects that are deemed suitable for film.

All this obviously way off course in this section, but I'd go for Barry Lyndon & The Duellists. Both visually stunning movies in my opinion.

John Y.
Simon Rosbottom

I think Peckinpah's previous film "Cross of Iron" is worthy of praise and a mention here too, particularly David Warner and James Mason. if you haven't seen it, look it up.

John/Simon ..got'em all..you guys have taste.... Wink

And I think I'm going to have to order "The Ultimate Dambusters" which includes the film plus a bit of extras. I figured that they'd have it here in the British dvd section but it looks like they'll never get it in.

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
rich wrote:

And I think I'm going to have to order "The Ultimate Dam Busters" which includes the film plus a bit of extras. I figured that they'd have it here in the British dvd section but it looks like they'll never get it in.

As an aside, our Peter Jackson, here in New Zealand is progressing well though his version of the Dam Busters.

We have a Froggie Lancaster in our local museum and he has been "aboard" (or is it "in"?) for film shots but I suspect that they will have a mock up and lots of CGI.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
peterw

Two more suggestions:

Went the Day Well (although not a personal favourite)

The Cockleshell Heroes

Peter
Sawubona

Since we're already gone so far off the wall, so to speak, I'll ask: How do those of you on your side of the Big Lake feel about all (or some, or just a few) of the Hammer films? Seriously now, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing? I'd have to put the original "Wicker Man" way up there in front of some of the other dross previously posted in the "top ten" here! Was there ever made a more "British" film?
Sheldon Hall

I don't disagree that THE WICKER MAN is a great film, as long as you remember that it's not a Hammer production!
rich

kiwi...Thanks for that..I'm waiting patiently for that one!

Say it isn't so, Sheldon! Not a Hammer film? Embarassed I'll have to say that the original "The Haunting" (1963) is arguably the best paced and most terrifying ghost movie ever made-- and a premier example of how much a skilled cast and talented director can accomplish with so few resources.
Simon Rosbottom

Saw, to which particular dross do you refer?

"Went the day Well." Great propaganda film, you'd have to include "Mrs.Minniver" in there too. I can oly guess that Jack Higgins got the inspirationj for "The Eagle has Landed" from "WTDW?"

"In which we serve" from the same period.