rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rich

hmmmmmm..I don't know but is Sheldon's favorite "Where Eagles Dare" THE best commando film of all time???????? I put it on the other night. Boy, it's good! I think Burton loved to be working in that film!

Rich

Can't help but think that the "Where Eagles Dare" mission would have failed miserably but for those seemingly bottomless rucksacks!

Sawubona

I'm with you as regards the (original) 'Wicker Man'; 'Witchfinder General' is a favourite of mine too.

H
The Scorer

Have you seen Al Murray (The Pub Landlord)'s "Where Eagles Dare" Drinking Game?

Basically, these are the rules:

1. Every time Clint Eastwood shoots a German soldier ... you take a drink.

2. Every time someone gets blown up ... you take a drink.

3. Every time there's a bad German accent .... you take a drink.

4. Every time the "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" call sign is said (and vice versa, of course) ... you've guessed it ... you take a drink.

The result is, of course, but the end of the film (if you get that far!), you're completely paralysed ... I haven't played it myself, but it sounds fun!

Smile
rich

heh heh and the best thing after all that is to make the guy explain who was who after all was said and done!

rich wrote:
heh heh and the best thing after all that is to make the guy explain who was who after all was said and done!

I'm not sure that I could do that sober, never mind after the drinking game!

Smile
Sawubona

Although I admit that I haven't seen it in several dog's-ages (maybe even since it was first released), The Guns of Navaronne seems to be a movie that ought to be mentioned here-- as at least a runner-up. Not that other one, the sequel, though!
Sawubona

Do these have to be only "war flicks", because I believe I'll watch the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" tonight. Perhaps some foreigners might know it as "Scrooge", but by whatever name it's still one of the top ten movies to watch in December.
peterw

Today was the annual trip to the attic to retrieve the festive decorations so I had a rummage around and found a lonely record box. Tucked in between early 1970s musical horrors was indeed Great War Movie Themes, now safely downstairs with the rest of the vinyl (records).

Relief.

Peter
Sheldon Hall

Saw, the 1951 adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" was known as SCROOGE everywhere!
Sawubona

Maybe it's "Scrooge" everywhere on the planet Earth, Sheldon, but I grew up elsewhere--in New Jersey! Honest Injun, I didn't even know some people called it "Scrooge" until just last week.

From Wikipedia (so it HAS to be true!*):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_%281951_film%29

* Picture a winking emoticon here, 'cause I can't seem to get one to stay.
Peter Ewart

I'm with you there, Saw - a great film. And quite a few later well known British actors who were very young indeed in this film.

But I've never heard this film referred to as "Scrooge" as a title! Watched it each year on Christmas Eve when our boys were younger, but not for a year or two now. I'll have to get it out again & look carefully at the title.

Peter - is this the Great War Movie Themes LP I had too? I think it must be. Coloured sketches of film stars, fighter planes & R. Kwai bridge etc on the sleeve? Does it include Is Paris Burning? (A film I'd never heard of when I acquired the LP 30-odd years ago and have never seen). If so, must be the same one. If I recall, about half the scores on this were by Ron Goodwin! And there was a good explanation, I seem to recall, of the development of Alford's Colonel Bogey into the River Kwai March for the film, which was a very clever thing to do, as it contained two separate tunes throughout. (Unless I read that elsewhere). Probably still got my copy somewhere.

Peter

PS. It's strange, but Colonel Bogey seems forever linked with the war with the Japs these days, but that only goes back to 1957 as far as I know, as Alford (Ricketts) composed CB between the wars, and the River Kwai March itself is quite different - or, at least, more developed, with its two-in-one arrangement. (And, it has to be said, even better than the original).

PPS. While on film themes, although many of the above have some terrific music, I have to admit that the nonpareil of all film music - certainly of my generation! - has to be a non-British one, as nothing beats The Magnificent Seven. Way out in front. (Was quite partial to The Big Country theme, too).

P.
peterw

Peter - is this the Great War Movie Themes LP I had too? I think it must be. Coloured sketches of film stars, fighter planes & R. Kwai bridge etc on the sleeve? Does it include Is Paris Burning?

Yes indeed.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

I notice that Ernest Thesiger played the Undertaker in "A Christmas Carol".

The full track listing.

1. Dambusters
2. Bridge Too Far
3. Lawrence Of Arabia
4. Ride Of The Valkyries
5. Hamburger Hill
6. 633 Squadron
7. Reach For The Sky
8. Adagio For Strings
9. Eagle Has Landed
10. Green Berets
11. Battle Of Britain
12. Guns Of Navarone
13. Longest Day
14. Great Escape
15. Cavatina
16. Where Eagles Dare

Alan,

Interesting. He was born a week before Isandhwana.

Ernest Graham Thesiger in London on January 15th 1879, he was the grandson of the first Baron of Chelmsford.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0857658/bio