rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
searching for Dyer KIA Isandlwana
johnk

Can anyone help with a genealogy question, on my grandmothers side I believe that maybe one or maybe both of two Dyers were KIA at Isandlwana, one was a lieutenant the other was a private soldier, I'm still not sure if these two Dyers were related in any way to my family line
also I have scant information about my ggg grandfather George Dyer serving with 13 foot during the Napoleonic War, and my grandfather serving with connaght rangers in the boer war, can anyone point me at a source who can help trace these relatives, I am prepared to pay a commission

Very many thanks for any help or guidance
Martin Everett

It is unusual for a Private soldier and an Officer serving in the same regiment at the same time to be related.

John Dyer 25B/215 - 1/24th nothing survives on him - but likely he came from Liverpool where he enlisted - or Ireland.

Lt Henry Dyer - Adjutant 2/24th - family came from Blackheath in Kent, he was born in Redhill.

Rather than grasping at straws and wasting much of your time - work backwards through your family tree systematically. Or go to National Archives and spend happy hours searching your tree - these are where most of the suriving military documents are held - although many are now on-line at FindMyPast. At Kew you will find the quarter pay and muster rolls for 13th Foot.

johnk

thankyou Martin
It could be private John Dyer, my ggrandfather was named John and he came from Mayo, Ireland, thanks for your advice reference searching through national archives, is "find my past" the best search site ? how do you rate "ancestry.com" as a search site?

many thanks
Martin Everett

Nothing survives for John Dyer at the National Archives - that is service records - except you can track him on the pay and muster rolls for 1/24th. Soldiers who died in service - their documents were destroyed - no pension to pay.

Surviving Soldiers Service documents - i.e. known as Chelsea out-pension records - which are filed in WO97 series at Kew are now appearing on FindMyPast website.

searching for Dyer KIA Isandlwana