rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Barry 1933-2011
Alan
Site Admin

It has been announced that John Barry has died. We will all remember him for his film music for Zulu, but he has produced many more works such as Dances with Wolves, Out of Africa, Midnight Cowboy, Born Free and the incidental music for many of The Bond films.

Last edited by Alan on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Sad news indeed. Thanks for the memories.

Peter
Mel

John Barry has been a great musical influence in my life. IMHO he ranks probably the greatest film score composer. It's impossible to imagine films such as Zulu, Goldfinger, Born Free and Dances With Wolves with a different composer/score. In using the term "score" I am of, of course, including the great title songs he co wrote with Don Black.

He was a master of melody, wasn't he? Thsoe scores he wrote were so flowing and powerful bringing across the "feel" of the films. He lived a few towns away from me but I never did get to see him personally in these parts. Not sure if he'll be laid to rest here or perhaps in York where he was born. I'll always treasure the first 'Zulu' soundtrack I bought. It not only has all the music to 'Zulu' but to other beautiful music he wrote in those 60-ish days. Not only did he write great music (Bond themes) but also that music encapsulated an age.