rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
P. Ryan
William Seymour

A Little help please.

A good friend of my wife has been told that her Great Great Grandfather was at Rorke's Drift.

The Gentleman in question is one (Rank Unknown) Patrick Ryan of the 99th Duke of Endinburgh (Lanarkshire) Regiment of Foot No 1228.

I have checked out my copy of England's Sons (albeit probably out of date now) and can find only one Jas. Ryan K.I.A. Isandlwana. As Patrick was the father to her Great Grandmother in Peshwar, India, in 1887, clearly it cannot be him.

She would like to know where this regiment was in S.A. [if indeed it was] and what Campaign the Regiment was involved in.

Many thanks

JK
John Young

John,

Private 1228 Patrick Ryan, 99th Regiment.

The 99th were initally part of No.1 Column under Pearson.

During that time members of regiment were present at Nyezane; both the Siege & Relief of Eshowe and the Battle of Gingindlovu.

During the 2nd invasion they were part the 1st Brigade of H. H. Crealock's Coastal Division, Crealock's Crawlers.

Following the defeat of the Zulu, one company of the 99th were posted as the garrison of Rorke's Drift in early August 1879.

The 99th remained in South Africa until 31st December 1879, from there they were posted to Bermuda. In 1881 the regiment returned to the Cape in wake of the 1st Anglo-Boer War, but saw no action in the campaign.

John Y.
William Seymour

John

Many thanks for that. Methinks she has some reading to do!

Kind Regards

JK
P. Ryan