rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Exhibition - poster
filmmaker

Hi,

That's the poster produced specifically for the Cardiff exhibition that I designed. You can see it on my website www.zulufilmstore.com

Thanks

Henry
Zulu Film Exhibition video now on You Tube
filmmaker

Hi All,

I have posted the video from the opening day of the Zulu Film Exhibition at Cardiff Castle on You Tube - you can see it here -

http://youtu.be/O8lQ7_PD52c

If the link is not working, copy and paste it into your browser to see it.

It includes interviews with actor Dickie Owen who played Schiess, as well as director Cy Endfield's wife.

Please leave feedback for the video.

Cheers

Henry
Galloglas

"Only 32 of the 139 South Wales Borderers who withstood the full force of 4,500 Zulus, to protect the crossing into Zululand, were actually from Wales.�

So, let it be plainly understood 0- once and for all - that no telling of the story within the borders of Wales need ever concern itself with actual facts.

G
Martin Everett

Armchair historians (boosted by frequent viewings of 'Zulu') often liken these conflicts as a sporting competition - how many Manchester United first team players come from Manchester? War in reality is a much more serious undertaking.

All those soldiers of the 24th (incidently not South Wales Borderers in 1879) at Rorke's Drift were proud to fight under their Sphinx capbadge - they became South Wales Borderers and now are The Royal Welsh - and will be deployed to Afghanistan again shortly. The regiment has served the country continually for over 320 years.

The army in 1870s were only coming to terms with for the first time having permanent regimental depots - recruits were naturally obtained where the home battalion was located - often in Ireland. The 2/24th spent sometime in Sheffield. Even with a permanent depot in Wales, the Royal Welch Fusiliers never achieved more 18% Welsh born soldiers in the period 1880-1914.

Again many people from England, Ireland and even Italy came to Wales in search of work (mining, steel making, railways, docks) in 1850s etc. So how many Welshmen in the Millennium Stadium watching Wales XV could claim their great grandfather was actually Welsh.

Stanley Baker, an ardent and proud Welshmen, was always going to bring out the Welshness of the immortal defence of Rorke's Drift by the 24th Regiment. The film is not a documentry but entertainment.

I went to the unveiling of a 'blue plaque' to William Cooper in a small terrace street in Worthing a few years ago - the locals were very proud that a RD man had lived there - but he committed suicide at the age 71 in 1942 - still not recovered from the trauma of 22/23 January 1879. We should put these conflicts before sporting events.

Paul Bryant-Quinn

Galloglas wrote:
So, let it be plainly understood 0- once and for all - that no telling of the story within the borders of Wales need ever concern itself with actual facts.

Um - run that one by me again?
Sawubona

Very nice job of editing. Who did the work on that, filmmaker?
leightarrant

Thanks for your comment. I filmed and edited the opening day at both London and Cardiff film exhibitions. Also I have shot some interviews with
cast and crew, which as yet is unseen. Henry Coleman comissioned me to make these films.
rich

Leigh: I just got to see the video. I enjoyed it very much and wished I could have been at the exhibition.

You know my eyes lit up just as Mr. Coleman's when it came to the storyboards. He's got a prize there. Any idea who did them for the film? And I sure wouldn't mind to get say a book reproduction of those drawings. They must be fabulous to look at.

Hi Rich - The storyboard drawings are currently available on a repro 'poster' that Henry had done, but I'm not sure who the original artist was.....but to see them in the 'flesh' is pretty amazing.....they look like minature pieces of artwork....not just storyboard drawings!
Coll

Leigh

You don't happen to know, or know someone who knows, if the original 'Zulu' screenplay will ever be put forward for to be pubished as is, so that we may all own it ?

By this, I mean as a proper publication, not a photocopy.

There are many other film scripts available to buy in published form, but 'Zulu' would be an absolute bonus for all us fans. Very Happy

Thanks

Coll
leightarrant

Coll - Currently I know some one who is working on it as we speak....but I'm sworn to secrecy....but its hoping to be published next year in time for Zulu's 50th anniversary....(1963 when the film went into production)
Coll

Leigh

That's fantastic news ! Very Happy

Thankyou

Coll
New 'Zulu' Exhibition at Cardiff Castle