rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
dying your helmet
oldcontemtible

I've a nice and quite expensive repro helmet from the late thin red line.
as I'm inclined to improve my uniform to a more South-African campaign look, I intend to buy a cheap asian made specimen and attempt to die it brown with tea or coffee. Now, any tips on how to do this. I never willfully ruined kit before, hence the question.
thanks

Guy
Sawubona

Just my thought and not based in any personal experience, but how wrong can one go? After all we're only emulating impoverished "rankers" trying to take some of the polish off a white helmet while using the materials immediately to hand-- tea, coffee, mud or worse. My biggest fear would be to damage the cork body of an expensive repro (or of an original which of course shouldn't be touch in the first place). Don't most reproductions have plastic shells?
rich

You know I have a repro helmet which I bought a few years ago. I have no idea what it's made of. But one thing I'll say over the years is that through natural "aging" in the rarefied air of my home it's kind of looking well "teaey". That's the kind of color the helmet looks like in some places. I figure in about 5 years it'll look like the Earl Grey brand.... Wink

Sawubona wrote:
Just my thought and not based in any personal experience, but how wrong can one go? After all we're only emulating impoverished "rankers" trying to take some of the polish off a white helmet while using the materials immediately to hand-- tea, coffee, mud or worse. My biggest fear would be to damage the cork body of an expensive repro (or of an original which of course shouldn't be touch in the first place). Don't most reproductions have plastic shells?

I guess your right that, in those days, they just went along, no matter what.
there isn't probably a handbook on how to do that.
still I rather reunion a 25 $ hat, than a 120� one Wink

Guy
dying your helmet