rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Like Wolves on the Fold
mike snook 2

Folks

I have received the first copy of LWOTF. So for those who have placed pre-orders, it shouldn't be too long in coming. Hope you like it.

Mike
Rich

Mike..looking forward to this one....thanks...btw I've been dipping alot into HCMDB....it's always on my coffee table....heh heh when some see it..."So Rich what's with these black and red guys going after each other, eh??? And then we add another who comes to "know" about that little war down there outta the way somewhere in a country called South Africa! Wink
mike snook 2

Well done Rich - keep spreading the gospel. Maybe when everybody is a AZW buff, and contributing on this forum, there'll be no more wars - we'll all be far too busy debating Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana! Laughing

Regards as ever

Mike
Mike Snook

Two corrections folks:

Page 35 line 2 delete 450 insert 650.
Page 108 line 21 delete 'two and a half hours' insert 'an hour and a half.'

Mike
Dawn

Oh, dear, Mike, not another case of how could a man edit better?

(sorry, couldn't resist! Laughing )

Dawn
Mike Snook

I don't know why I bother. Evil or Very Mad
Dawn

Mike
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I can be a bit mischievous sometimes. I hope you will forgive me. For penance I shall now have to buy two copies, won't I?

To make you feel better I found a couple of editing mistakes in Zulu Victory.

It's curious that, no matter how often a book is edited, small mistakes still creep in. I can remember reading a fiction book where the name of the main character changed from Daniel to David and then back to Daniel again.

At the end of the day, a well researched and well written book will rise above the small indiscretions of the editor.

Dawn
Martin Everett

Just to say our stock of LWOTF arrived earlier than expected. To all those who have kindly supported the museum - their pre-ordered copies were posted on Friday. For others, we still have copies signed by the author in stock. I was able to update Mike on the mini-tornado I experienced at RD - many trees uprooted and a section of the roof on the museum was ripped off (now replaced).

Dewi Evans

Martin,

Great service once again, I received my copy yesterday.

Thank you very much,

Dewi. Very Happy
Coll

Mike Snook

Obtained a copy of 'Like Wolves on the Fold'.

Definitely appears to equal 'How Can Man Die Better' regarding the detailed contents and excellent illustrations.

Congratulations on the completion of a pair of high-quality books which are a must to be added into every AZW enthusiast's library.

Coll

PS. I'll try and read it from the beginning, but am tempted to fast-forward to the Blame Game chapter. I'm not sure why. Any ideas ? (joking)
mike snook 2

Coll

Thank you for your kind words; Greenhill have done a super job on presenting the book well.

I hope you enjoy the read. Perhaps you should just skip over that particular chapter altogther!? It might 'upset you at your breakfast' (!!) in the words af a well known film. Laughing

Regards as ever

Mike
Alekudemus

Have just finished reading my copy of LWOTF. Superb ! Now of course it means I have to go and buy "How Can Man Die Better" and read the both through in the order they were written! It's a tough job but someone has to do it Very Happy This book takes pride of place on my bookshelf and will soon be a well thumbed volume.
Zulu command at RD
Rich

Well Mike I'm reading LWOTF and as usual I've been learning much from your narratives. As I was reading, it came to me when you were initially describing the various Zulu attacks that I asked myself why Dabulamanzi's troops did not simply surround the compound and begin coordinated simultaneous attacks along every inch of the perimeter Chard and co were defending. That surely would have upped the ante a bit in defending the post. The I hit pages 119-120 and you go right into it on that. As you note, Dabulamanzi just failed to realize his superiority of numbers over the beleaguered garrison. Surprising, no? Can it be inferred that Zulu commanders appear pretty good when it comes to strategically putting their opponents in place as opposed to situations where a more tactical problem stares at them? In any case RD, looks like it's an example of counting your chickens (rats I think is the appropriate word) before they're hatched.
Keith Smith

Rich

Your note raises an interesting question which is something of a conundrum until you think about it. The perimeter of the post was really quite small and it was therefore impossible for all 4,000 Zulus to attack at the same time, even had Dabulamanzi thought of it. Henry V took perfect advantage of this at Agincourt.

KIS
Johnny_H

I am extremely Jealous of all of you!
Amazon.com says the N.American Rel is in April.

Like Wolves on the Fold