rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
50 years of 'Zulu' soon
Colin Fielding

Anything special likely to happen in 2014 for the Golden Anniversary of 'the film'?

Col.
Alan
Site Admin

I think I may watch it again.

Alan wrote:
I think I may watch it again.

Plan on joining you Alan
Julian whybra

AGAIN!!! You'll be having it surgically removed next.
Alan
Site Admin

We are talking about three years from now. I might have forgotten the storyline by then.

What! How could you possibly forget Anthony Quayle taking all of a ton of a truck on his back and that awful fake Zedaffrikan accent?
Alan
Site Admin

It's coming back to me now.

Colin

I am sure the marketing dept at Paramount will come up with something suitable by then.

I would not be suprised if it was remastered for 3D or whatever is the fashion at the time. Imagine Zulu in 3D, worth buying a new TV for that.

The way TV is developing at the moment anything and everything seems possible, see below part of a press release about Super Hi vision for 2012

Olympic showcase for Super Hi-Vision
Experimental TV format with 16 times the resolution of HDTV.
The BBC is to capture part of the Olympic Games in the Japanese developed Super Hi-Vision (SHV) format, the executive in charge of the corporation�s London 2012 coverage has confirmed.
rich

50 years! I can't believe I'm still around around after watching a British army in bright red with white hats somewhere in some far off place that I never knew held off thousands of blacks armed with spears. What did I know of another country's history?????.... Wink You guys over the pond should have a free-cinema day with Zulu in the biggest cinemas. I mean that's the way the film should be seen! If they won't give "free" well a senior citizen disocunt then. Tell them you fought with Caine.... Wink Time to put my blu ray on..."The Secretary of State for war has today received the following dispatch from Lord Chelmsford.....and that music...

If your going to watch "Zulu", watch it with the book that follows the dialogue of the film and tells you what really happenened at Rorke's Drift. Read "ZULU THE TRUTH BEHIND THE FILM". Contact [email protected] for a copy. Ideal Xmas present when it makes it's seasonal appearance.
Alan
Site Admin

Paul,
as if not content with a free placing in 'Marketplace',
you seem to be plugging your book at every opportunity.

I, for one, am waiting for the movie industry to release a disc of ZULU that offers "alternate endings" as one of the selections. Probably won't happen until after "A Night to Remember" and "The Alamo" with alternate endings come out first though. Imagine it, Titanic sails proudly into New York harbor to be huzzahed by tens of thousands of spectators who speak only Spanish. Nice photos, Mel!
Galloglas

It would be enough for me if people in Zulu sang Nearer my God to Thee rather than Men of Harlech.

Oh, and if Durnford didn't have an Oirish accent. It would also be nice if Lt Bromhead was played by somebody not trying to show that he could 'talk proper'.

G
Sawubona

Just conjecture here, but I can't imagine any way a movie could be "remastered" in 3D, Wobble. My thinking is that, like a turn of the (last) century vintage stereoviewer, the source footage would have to have been "filmed" (is anyone still even using film?) with two discrete cameras. Digression Alert! I've spent many happy hours playing with monaural records -- duplicating the single sound source out of sync between two channels, filtering, adding echo effects and so forth, and although a certain "depth" can be achieved, it can never be made into true stereo. I'm betting that video editing would be similar and the result would be even less successful.
rich

I, for one, am waiting for the movie industry to release a disc of ZULU that offers "alternate endings" as one of the selections

Saw...what a great idea! And it could be there where the site's famous debates (you know what they are!) around here can get some resolution on screen no less. I can see it now. An alt ending exploring the outcome if Durnford and his men "tied their mast to the donga" . Sorry for the mixed metaphor.... Wink