rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Dr. George Stoker's Stafford House Report
John Young

Inspired by a recent trip to Whitby, a favourite haunt of his brother Bram and his well-known creation, I thought I'd attempt some research George Stoker. Having picked up some tit-bits I wonder if anyone has a copy of his co-authored report on the Anglo-Zulu War?

Thanks in anticipation,

John Y.
Harold Raugh

Hi John,

A copy of Report and Record of the Operations of the Stafford House Committee for the Relief of Sick and Wounded Turkish Soldiers: Russo-Turkish War, 1877-78 (London: Spottiswoode, 1879) can be found in the:

Wellcome Library
Part of Wellcome Collection
183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK
T +44 (0)20 7611 8722
F +44 (0)20 7611 8369

I am not sure if this report is by Stoker, although the Wellcome Library does contain three other publications by George Stoker.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Harold
Harold Raugh

Sorry, John, wrong book. I am sure you meant this one:

Report of the Stafford House South African Aid Committee: Zulu War, 1879, by J T C Ross; George Stoker; Stafford House South African Aid Committee. London: Spottiswoode, 1880.

The only copy I can seem to locate is held at the Australian War Memorial Research Center. It is only 32 pp. long, so you should be able to request a photocopy easily and inexpensively.

Cheers,
Harold
John Young

Cheers Harold,

The Aussie one is the only one that pinged up when I did a web search, it appears that George's son, Henry, became a Lieutenant-Commander Royal Navy and served in the Australian Submarine Service and was captured by the Turks in the Dardenelles, 25th April 1915.

I wonder if it were his?

John Y.
Harold Raugh

Hi John,

Thank you. I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian War Memorial copy of the AZW Stafford House report belonged G. Stoker's son. It's a small world!

If you do get a copy of the AWM report, and it bears Henry's bookplate or signature, please let us know!

Cheers,
Harold
joebratpunk

Hi,

I've just found this forum topic of conversation.... was any progress made on identifying the details of George Stoker's involvement, and publications relating to his various quazi-military roles?

I'm particularly interested from regards to the history of Sister Janet, who served in both campaigns involving the celebrated author's brother/.

Cheers
Joe
rich

And as an aside for Harold..

I believe you did a book on Wavell, is that right? I thought I'd pick it up for my British general book area.

Hi Rich,
You are absolutely correct! My first book (based on my doctoral dissertation), was Wavell in the Middle East, 1939-1941: A Study in Generalship (London: Brassey's, 1993). This book has been out of print for many years (and used copies can be found on Abebooks.com and other book search engines), and I am glad to report it wil be republished in a paperback edition in a few months by the University of Oklahoma Press, a good academic publisher.
I hope you let me know what you think of it, Rich!
All the best,
Harold
rich

Very good Harold....thanks for the tip!..interesting fellow I'd say!..well generals usually are.... Wink

Thanks, Rich. I think you'll find Wavell more interesting, and more enigmatic, than most British generals.
Cheers,
Harold
Peter Ewart

Indeed, Harold. And it's not every general who compiles and publishes an anthology of his favourite poetry in the middle of such a war, even if he were "in between jobs", so to speak. Although originally intended only for his family, Wavell's efforts at this time - between his Middle East command and his responsibilities in the struggle against Japan - were unusual to say the least, even if the writing of poetry by soldiers during war is not at all uncommon.

Other Men's Flowers is one of my favourite anthologies of verse and it's the first thing I think of when Wavell is mentioned - that and his encouragement of Wingate.

Peter
Harold Raugh

Hi Peter,
You are absolutely correct about Wavell's poetry anthology, Other Men's Flowers. It was published in 1944 by Jonathan Cape when Wavell was Viceroy of India. An old school Wykehamist, Wavell claimed that he knew every poem in the anthology by heart. He included one of his own poems in the anthology, his sole original contribution among "other men's flowers."
There is much more to learn about Wavell, and I believe (although all my AZW materials are packed, having recently relocated) Wavell's father, Archibald Graham Wavell (a careeer Army officer who retired as a major general) served in the Norfolk Regiment in the AZW.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Harold
Martin Everett

Do not forget 'Allenby: Soldier and Stateman' by APW

rich

two for the shelves..thx for that Martin...

Harold

Your little aside about Wavell's father surprised me. The Norfolk Reg't had, I believe, been the 9th Foot before Cardwell's reforms, and I didn't think the 9th (or the East Norfolks as they were also known at the time) had been involved in the AZW. Perhaps Wavell had been there with another regiment?

I see that Adrian Fort's recent biography of Wavell also claims his father "fought in the Zulu War", having joined the Norfolk Reg't. (I haven't got that work but squeezed an extract out of google books). The website "Peerage" also claims this man served in the Zulu War as well as the Basuto (Gun) War, etc. It cites Pine's Extinct Peerage (1971) for this. Was he there all the time but attached to another unit, perhaps, as seems likely, such as in the cases of Smith-Dorrien & his like on the 1st invasion or, say, Dawnay in the 2nd?

After posting the above, I see Keith Smith's LGOs mention him (p162) when the break up of the various columns was announced in July 1879, and he is listed among those who "will be provided with passages to England." These had been employed on special service or were on the Staff of a Div or Bde. So he had been there (Crealock's coastal column, perhaps?) and then rejoined his 9th.

Someone here, perhaps Keith Smith or John Young, might know the details of his AZW service?

Peter
Dr. George Stoker's Stafford House Report