rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Musket
clevedon4

I thought that perhaps someone on this forum may be interested in Lot 505 of the Clevedon salerooms auction 8/9 . I hasten to add that I am not the seller or in any way connected with the seller & have no interest in buying it myself but I would be interested in hearing the views of others as to its likely authenticity as a relic of RD . Mark
ciscokid

Peter Ewart

No further details available? Provenance, etc?

P.
clevedon4

I see that the hammer price was �1200 . Mark
peterw

Presumably the price paid was the standard price for the musket.

The label might have been genuine but required a leap of faith. And I'm not Indiana Jones.

Peter
Galloglas

As always, we need to ask what this item might be worth in its sale condition, but without the label.

Based only upon the photograph, and mostly the appearance of the lock plate, and the appearance of prolonged care and mainternance on the butt and fore-pieces, it appears to be in surprisingly good condition and it would be very interesting to get some impression of the chamber and rifling. There are also interesting signs of frequent use on the leaf sight.

The label is obviously the bit of provenance that needs the most careful probing, since it may simply be something sold on to its owner very much earlier (and in the 19thC) by somebody whose word on the subject was accepted. Or, just added on by (anybody really) and perhaps in a private dcolection or former regimental or museum collection.

Even the Brecon Museum displays things in entire good faith that are not necessarily what their label indicates. Like the Rifle Brigade 'RB' shoulder titles purportedly from the Isandlwana battlefield, for example. Unless of course they are exceedingly rate items from 'Raw's Blokes'?

However, somebody who always wanted a Zulu 'musket' used at Rorke's Drift now has his heart's desire. So, that's that then.

G
Zulu Musket