rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lt Bromhead epaulettes/Corporal's stripes
studiobluesea

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I did search but not find). I'm painting a picture of the 24th Foot VC's and there are some uniform details that I must check before committing to the paper.
1. What would LT Bromhead's red battledress epaulettes have looked like.
2. The corporal's stripes are stitched on a backing and the patch would then have been stitched on the uniform. Am I right in believing this and if so what colour would that backing patch have been?
The progress of this painting is being chronicled on my wordpress blog - if anyone cares to look and sees any inaccuracies please let me know, and feel free to comment.
Thanks.
Miles
http://studiobluesea.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/lt-Bromhead-colourdetail.jpg?w=150&h=112
peterw

Miles

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with the answers but commend your attention to detail.

Peter
studiobluesea

Thanks for the welcome, Peter. Artistic licence will prevail!
Martin Everett

1. Lt Bromhead more than likely wore a soldiers pattern five button tunic (without badges of rank) while on campaign - see new holding page of museum and image of B Company at Pinetown - Bromhead is with Pip, Godwin Austen's dog - see www.rrw.org.uk He certainly would not be wearing his full dress tunic as you have suggested.

2. Corporals stripes (or more correctly chevrons) - white on red backing worn on right arm only. Remember line infantry chevrons are narrower than Foot Guards pattern. I do not have the sizes to hand.

Rusteze

Martin

I had always thought Bromhead was at the far left of front row in the picture, the soldier with the dog is at far right. Am I wrong?

Rusteze

You are right. It was late at night - after returning from hearing Rob Caskie in Cheltenham. Bromhead is bottom left - but still not wearing his full dress tunic as was incorrectly portrayed in film 'Zulu'.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rusteze

Martin
I often find that, late at night, the little devils in these photographs get up and move around. Or it might just be the nightcap thats to blame!

Thanks for your help, Martin. I'm doing a contemporary painting ... symbolic rather than an actual depiction of events, however, I do want the insignia that I'm using to be correct.
(BTW, it was Rob that ignited my imagination and got me started on this series of paintings!)
Miles.
David Langley

In 1868 the Royal Army Clothing Department ledger noted that chevrons were not to be on facing colour, and were to be 1/2" worsted. Both these represented a change towards economy. Only the Foot Guards were spared. This had not changed by 1879. The worsted is in fact a rather off-white, tending towards the buff/yellow in some lights.
Lt Bromhead epaulettes/Corporal's stripes