rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
ZULU film set
ayr41

Many thanks for all your help on my previous post and plans are starting to fall into place to visit RD. Being a bit of a film buff I would like to spend the end of the tour on the site of the actual film set site. I am struggling to get any infomation on where exactly this is and nearby accommodation. I would most appreciate any help of the exact spot in the Royal Natal National Park so any comments or information from anyone who has visited the set area.

Regards
Stephen
Sawubona

Find your way to the "Old Hotel" in the Royal Natal National Park. Don't be put off by the roads in, especially if you take the one through the village that's the "scenic route". If he's there, ask the grizzled Zulu ranger at the front desk of the main reception building how to get to the hotel. If he isn't, continue up the road to the fork where the women sell baskets. After you stop and buy some 'cause they've got nice stuff for cheap and they work real hard making them , continue on the right fork until you hit the end of the line. Park there, admire the baboons to the right and then saunter through the abandonded hotel and down towards the left-hand side. Along about that point, things should begin to look familiar, kind of like you've seen it all before! Seriously, take along some captured stills from the movie and you'll have no problem finding just where you need to stand to be in it. And if you get mixed up and lost, just ask anyone-- Greet them in Zulu and ask in English-- "Sawabona! Ujani? Where am I?" They all know that much Anglo-Saxon, so we all ought to know that much Zulu!
Sawubona

Addenum,
We stayed in a rondavaal at the Inkosana Lodge in the Central 'Berg-- friendly, clean, and cheap! It's a day trip up to RNNP, but then you got to head south that night to The Dragons Nest for a meal! And don't be put off by the "biker bar" exterior, because the food is worth dying for. Sadly, we missed the Drakensberg Boys Choir on the way by. Ask Ed at Inkosana for directions! And wear a good hat! We made reservations on the Net.
Haydn Jones

Sawubona

It's properly "Unjani" (rather than "Ujani") but, if you'll excuse the pun, I'm sure they got your "drift" !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

ayr41

Thanks for your earlier e-mail. I would only add that whichever way you decide to go to Zululand, just make sure that you do. You'll love it!!! Hamba kahle!!

H
Sheldon Hall

The 'Old Hotel' is, I take it, the Royal NNP Hotel, closed a few years ago and used by some of the ZULU crew during shooting (it was adjacent to the set). If you want to make the trip complete you could stay at the Other Hotel, i.e. the Mont-Aux-Sources, where the rest of the cast and crew stayed, inc. Stanley Baker (rooms 24, 25 and 26), Cy Endfield (rooms 33 and 34)and Michael Caine (sharing room 37 with Ivor Emmanuel). The current owner-manager, Marius Markgraaf, also managed the hotel when the film was made, so you can sit up all night chatting to him about it...
tom

Come on,Sheldon.
We all want to know what room Ulla Jacobsson slept in ?Wink Smile
Sheldon Hall

Room 9 at the Royal NNP, if you must know (shared with her husband!)...
Sawubona

Transliteration of Zulu? A native corrected me in Eshowe with the observation that it's actually "Gujani" or occassionally "Kujani", but never, ever "Ujani"! I've got to assume that that's what happens when someone tries to learn to speak Zulu with a Jersey City accent and then tries to spell it later on a forum. Regardless, use it however you chose to spell it.
Dawn

That's what happens when you learn Zulu in the kitchen - you can say it and you know what it means but darned if you can spell it!

Dawn
ZULU film set