rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Greatcoat or just a good blanket?
Sawubona

What exactly is that thing confined to the kit by the "greatcoat straps"? Turner in Soldiers' Accoutrements of the British Army pictures it more like a rolled up blanket . Was it a blanket or a coat? Am I missing something in British Victorian slang? Is a blanket called a "greatcoat" as in "Wanna check out my great coats?" (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
Adrian Whiting

Sawubona,

The straps are for carrying the great coat in certain orders of dress. They can be used to carry a blanket of course but the Instructions for Fitting Valise Equipment do not describe them for that purpose.

The Instructions are very precise on how to roll the greatcoat for carrying, with all the buttons, openings etc inside to limit snagging. I expect that is why Pierre Turner's illustration looks as it does. The greatcoat was different (thinner) from present day British military ones, such as the Foot Guards Greatcoat.

Horace Wyndham in "Soldiers of The Queen", London 1899, describes the process of soldiers in barracks rolling the greatcoat, which involves four men per coat to hold it tightly enough to fold and then roll it correctly!

Greatcoat or just a good blanket?