rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll return request
Alan
Site Admin

I have been approached by Coll who would like to return as a member of the RDVC forum.

He has suggested that I canvas other members, some of whom have had dealings with him
in the past. I am happy to do this if there is a concensus in favour.
He has acknowledged that in the past he has overstepped the mark with some of his postings
and has promised to be more circumspect in the future. This assurance, along with my ability
to discontinue his membership should it be needed, may affect your opinion.

Nevertheless I will leave it to you. Please contact me direct with a yes or no and I will abide
by a majority decision. All responses are confidential and the decision will be told to Coll as
a straight yes or no. I will need a total of at least ten votes in order to assume coverage
of the question.

Please email me at [email protected] and use 'Coll vote'
as the email subject.

Many thanks,
Alan

I've voted.

Peter
Sawubona

Yebo, Baba. As did I, Alan. Really now, Members, would Coll be the first poster on this site who had an opinion other than one's own and was less than circumspect in expressing it? Didn't he opt out by choice?
Bill Cainan 3

Yes, I too have voted

Bill
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Oooooohhhhhhhhhh er .

Big issue here. I can recognise that.

However, as a "small part, walk on" player, I am unaware of the swirling eddies behind the scenes, hence I will not vote.
But I do feel a need to make the point that my abstinence is due to ignorance as opposed to being a Mugwump.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Alan
Site Admin

What's a Mugwump?

Perhaps a folk etymology, but descriptive none the less: "Mug" on one side of the fence + "wump" on the other = "Mugwump"-- i.e.. a "fence sitter". It's now an uncommon Yank political term for someone who can't quite decide whether to be and vote as a conservative or a liberal. The term is now obsolete, not the practitioner. Wink
Peter Ewart

Voted.
Mel

As far as I am aware, Coll has not been banned from this forum and he left of his own accord. There is nothing to stop him from rejoining should he wish to do so. I find it extraordinary that he seeks "authorisation" from members of this forum in order to continue posting.

However, should he return to this forum, perhaps the first thing he might do is put forward suggestions on how he can persuade contributors who left this forum because of his confrontational style of debate, to also return.

Last edited by Mel on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Site Admin

Mel,
Coll asked for his membership to be suspended. It was. Anyone wanting to be a new or
reinstated member has to be registered by me. See http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=879
In this case, Coll asked if it was possible to return but suggested that it should be with the consent
of other members, acknowledging that it may could be contentious.

If he is reinstated, he may well consider mending fences. That would certainly
be welcomed by me.

It's probably long enough to get opinions

Percentage for Coll's return is 69%. Against, 31%. There are also two 'mugwumps'.

On that basis I shall ask if Coll wants to rejoin the forum. If he does, I hope that those who were opposed will understand the situation.

In any event, I will monitor happenings closely.

Alan

Thanks for letting me rejoin the forum. Although the vote was my idea, I did feel like I was awaiting the outcome of my own court-martial.

Much like Ricky Gervais when he was presenting the recent awards ceremony, I'll be on my best behaviour and promise not to offend any of the members.

I regret the tone and wording of my posts previously, but the points I made about Durnford and events during the Zulu War 1879, mainly Isandlwana, I feel should remain valid, though obviously not totally agreed with by others.

Anyway, I'd like to think it is possible to move on from the past and get on with the subject we are all passionate about - the Anglo-Zulu War 1879.

Time to get some discussions started.

I'm back. Cool

Coll
peterw

Coll

I accept your assurance in the spirit that it was made and look forward to a new start.

Peter
Coll

Thanks Peter.

Coll
Sawubona

Welcome back, Coll.
Coll return request