rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Tailors
Sapper Mason

Very Happy Greetings,
Can someone please tell me if it was the case when a regiment went into battle such as a the Zulu war not only were there soldier tailors but were there civilian tailors used as well? I had a query recently where the person concerned believes their ancestor may well have been a tailor, i will have to research to see if the person concerned was civilian or military, any help would be appreciated, thank you, Graham .
Adrian Whiting

Sapper,

Queen's Regs 1881 advises that the previous practice of recruiting civilians direct into the appointment of Sergeant Master-Tailor "has ceased". I cannot locate the specific date though.

In any event the direct civilian recruits were exchanged for enlisted soldiers, instructed at the Royal Army Clothing Department, when the Battalion was posted abroad - the civilians tailors undertook Home Service only.

My best estimate for your enquirer would be that if there is a suggestion that the ancestor served overseas, then they had been enlisted. The QRs note that Master-Tailors were to indentify suitable soldiers to be tailors at an early stage, especially those whose trade was that of tailor already.

I can provide more from the Regs if that will help.

Tailors