rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Books Written In Zulu And English Versions ?
Coll

I apologise for going back to an old subject, though this time is about acquiring two versions of the same book - one in English, one in Zulu for comparison.

I know the Zulu language, both written and oral, is a difficult subject to learn, but it is more for recognising various words, phrases, dialogue and sentences in the context of a book, when comparing one version with the other.

There is a great Zulu language site, and it is possible to acquire Zulu-English dictionaries that can assist, but I wish to obtain actual books too.

I'm not expecting to speak or write fluent Zulu, just obtain a visual understanding.

More modern everyday books would be better, rather than titles on complex subjects.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Coll
Martin Everett

Coll

You could try the Bible

Coll

Martin

Thanks for replying.

Yes. I considered that, having found an online version in Zulu of the 'Book Of Genesis', but not being a religious man myself, I don't know which version it is from, as I think there are various interpretations. It is also available as a book, but the cost is extremely high, again with me not knowing exactly from which version it is translated, as I'd need both books. Confused

As you can see, I'm at a loss in this specific area of bible study.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

Virtually all early published translations of isiZulu into European languages were accomplished my missionaries, so the Bible, prayer books and hymn books are the most fruitful and available material.

Most of the early work would be considered, orthographically, very out of date today, but I doubt that would affect your appreciation (although it might your - and anyone else's - understanding) of the comparison. By far the easiest example to have a go with might be Rev H. Callaway: The Religious System of the amaZulu (Africana Collecteana Vol XXXV - Struik, Cape Town facsimile reprint, 1970). The obvious value to your aims of this work is that is was published in isiZulu and English, every single page of the 448 in the book being divided into two columns alongside each other, one in each language.

It's far more than just a religious work - it's one of the earliest (altho' one of many in the 19th century) to have a crack at describing the whole of Zulu culture. Callaway worked among the Zulu of Natal and then the Pondo and East Griquas. The way it's set out, with linguistic explanations and phrases compared alongside each other either side of the central line, it's just down your street.

I dare say it has been reprinted again cheaply these days, or might even be available via Google or one of your fancy gadgets.

Happy reading!

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion.

I see it is also available online, but not set out as clearly as the book, which is indeed available at an affordable cost.

Coll
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Harold Raugh

Hi Coll,

I am not sure how easy it would be to find these books, but you may want to consider:

Bryant, A.T. A Zulu-English Dictionary with notes on pronunciation: a revised orthography and derivations and cognate words from many languages; including also a vocabulary of Hlonipa words, tribal-names, etc.; a synopsis of Zulu grammar and a concise history of the Zulu people from the most ancient times. Pinetown, Natal: Marianhill Mission Press, 1905; Maritzburg, South Africa: P. Davis & Sons, 1905. 778 pp.

Ngubane, Sihawukele. UShaka kasenangakhona. Cape Town: Maskew Miller Longman, 2007. 94 pp. This is a biography of Shaka Zulu in the Zulu language.

Natal Provincial Administration and Library Services. The Last Journey. King Cetshwayo: Reconstruction of His Last Journey and Funeral Wagon / Inkosi uCetshwayo: isiboniso sohamba lwakhe lokugcina kanye nesenqola eyasetshenziswa ekufihlweni kwakhe / Koning Cetshwayo: rekonstruksie van sy laaste reis en begrafniswa. [Pietermaritzburg]: n.p., [1983]. 26 pp. This multilingual publication was issued to mark the presentation of King Cetshwayo�s funeral wagon to the reigning Zulu king in 1983.

Good luck,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Plus you might want to try comparing Magema Fuze's classic with its English translation:

Abantu Abamnyama Lapa Bavela Ngakona [1922] (trans. The Black People and Whence They Came [1979]).
Peter Ewart

Paul's link appears to show the online version of Callaway's work which has dropped the Zulu translation - a pity, as the juxtaposition of the two languages is very helpful. But Paul's suggestion on Fuze is a good idea - you'll need to acquire both versions.

On a more prosaic level, the official guide commemorating the centenary of the AZW, published in Durban in 1979 by the Natal Provincial Administration, was produced in English, Afrikaans and Zulu, the texts appearing alongside each other and therefore suitable for comparisons to be made. Only about eight pages but plenty of text. Don't know how scarce copies are today but it's A4 (landscape) in size, black paper covers and, as almost everything turns up on eBay these days, you never know.

P.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Thanks Peter - I did a hurried search through Google Books (which have some interesting titles among their scans): I missed the fact that the Zulu translations were not there.
Keith Smith

Coll

I wonder if even columns of English and isiZulu would be helpful, since the sentence word order of the two languages is entirely different and without a Zulu-English dictionary (mine is by Doke) would be almost impossible. I think perhaps a modern isiZulu primer might be more helpful.

KIS
Coll

All

Many thanks for your suggestions. Wink

Coll
Sawubona

Just my humble opinion everybody, but is a book really the way to go? Rent or buy the movie "Yesterday" (yeah, I've mentioned it before, but it's a great movie), which is entirely in Zulu but subtitled in English. Then rent or buy "Tsotsi", which is also subtitled in English and although the dialogue is a fairly incomprehensible Jo'berg slang dialect, many of the words and phrases are Zulu and Xhosa (which is closely related). There's also at least one "learning-the-language" kit that includes a fairly comprehensive book on everyday Zulu with two CD's for exercise and learning. I'll dig it out for a more complete title if you're interested. I don't think I paid more than about $20 for it. Follow my advice and you won't be fluent and teenage Zulu girls at the cash register will have giggling fits, but you will learn such useful phrases as "Ukhuluma isiNglisi" ("Do you speak English?" (they inadvertantly do if you can get your mind around the accent)) and "Likuphi ikamelo lokugezela" ("Where is the bathroom?").
I'm hoping you won't need to remember "Biza amaphoyisa" when you go, Coll!

I keep thinking of other movies, Coll. "Goodbye, Bafana" has a lot of subtitled Zulu in it as well. And it's another good movie!
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Sawubona

You are of course right: there is no alternative to studying a language properly. Merely comparing texts doesn't cut it; but I'm sure Coll knows this already. Also that if you google "Learn Zulu", you get 17,800,000 hits (as of this morning), so there's plenty of material out there for the genuine learner.

When I visited KZN I learned, after a stumbling fashion, to say "Hello, how are you?" When I tried it on a taxi driver his comment was "You said that very well: was your mother black?"

Shocked
Coll

Sawubona

Yes. However, it is more of the recognising of words, perhaps to write or read Zulu (very roughly) than speak it.

Trying the 'clicks' etc., involved in speaking it, may cause my dentures to fall out ! Wink

Peter E.'s suggestion looks about the best choice at the moment.

Coll
Books Written In Zulu And English Versions ?