rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
All is forgiven
peterw

I had the misfortune to watch the last 15 minutes of "Custer of the West" today. Whatever liberties film producers took with Zulu and Zulu Dawn pale into insignificance in comparison.

Robert Shaw was a fine actor; this was not his finest moment.

Peter
Coll

Peter

Be thankful you didn't see it all and weren't out the expense of the dvd. Sad

The best part of the whole thing was the film poster.

I'd rather remember Robert Shaw for his role in 'Jaws'.

Coll
Martin Everett

From Russia with Love

John Young

Coll,

I take it you'd rather remember him from Jaws because of his Greener harpoon gun!

John Y.
Coll

John

I initially thought you were joking, but looked at the imfdb site and seen it is indeed. Surprised

The fact that it is a Greener after my recent topic on the shotgun is an amazing coincidence - what are the chances ?

I didn't even know they did harpoon guns.

Coll
Sawubona

As well as those thousands of wonderful little .310 Cadet rifles (with the Martini action) that were sold off by the Australian government in the 50's for something like $15 or $20 each. Over here those same rifles are now worth in the order of $400+ in spite of the fact that .310 Cadet ammunition is rarer then hens' teeth!

What's there not to love about a small frame Martini rifle with a whimsical little kangaroo picture on it?
rich

Re: Custer of the West...

You know when I saw Custer as Shaw it just didn't register, i.e. a Brit actor for an American icon. Not sure how other viewers felt.

And with that film made in '68, it was a time of debacles since the country was crazed with Vietnam. Piece of movie trivia: Reno's relatives sued the filmmakers for "misrepresenting" Major Reno up on screen.

A Brit playing Custer? ????? Did he get the accent right - sufficient to convince US audiences, that is? Was this revenge for DvD in Mary Poppins? If so, it looks as if the tables were turned once more with Lancaster's role in ZD! Talk about hands across the ocean - more like Chinese burns!

The name Robert Shaw doesn't register with me. Could be dementia setting in although his face does look vaguely familiar. Looking him up on Wikipedia, I can't say I've seen any of his films with the possible exception of A Man for All Seasons, which I remember wanting to see but can't recall now if I did. It's beginning to feel a long time ago!

Wiki's account of Custer of the West bears out what's been said above - a highly fictionalised film.

Peter

P.S. Interestingly, Wiki reveals that his mother was born at Pigg's Peak.

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Rich

I still think it looks like Mt. Isandlwana on the left in the background of the 'Custer Of The West' film poster.

I wonder how Isandlwana would have been remembered if the famous Gen. Custer and his 7th Cavalry had been with the 24th, having been tranferred to Africa as part of our invasion into Zululand from Rorke's Drift ?

Gen. Custer and Col. Durnford on the same battlefield ! Shocked

Can you imagine how books about Isandlwana would have read nowadays ?

Coll
rich

Yes, I looked at the pix the same way. Also, I think the artist took a little liberty with the terrain. I'm not too sure boulders were up there on the "greasy grass"where Custer and his men were caught "red-handed".
Appears to me artists always like to put a "fudge" factor in their work!

Peter..And Mr. Shaw was in J......A.......W.....S...
WATCH THOSE 'CHOPPERS'...........

I may be dating myself here (or you, Peter), but perhaps you might remember Robert Shaw as the captain and leader of the eponymous buccaneers in the ITC/Sapphire television series of the late fifties?

"Let's go a-roving, a-roving across the ocean
Let's go a-roving and join The Buccaneers..."

No sharks as I recall, but much doing of daring, booting of free and buckling of swash, some of which was filmed with the sleepy Thames standing in for The Caribbean of those exciting days. Arrrr...!
rich

Lancaster's role in ZD!

You know he came a long way from film noir to play that character, SA accent and all! Not sure if he got the accent right though.

The name Robert Shaw doesn't register with me. Could be dementia setting in although his face does look vaguely familiar. Looking him up on Wikipedia, I can't say I've seen any of his films with the possible exception of A Man for All Seasons, which I remember wanting to see but can't recall now if I did......

Peter... look man I'll send you a couple of shillings or pence or whatever...see that film before you make another cup'o'coffee!!!!!!!..... Wink

Site Admin

A couple of British actors playing Americans currently on TV.
Andrew Lincoln - Walking Dead
Damien Lewis - Homeland

Last edited by Alan on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am; edited 2 times in total

Damien Lewis also starred in the 'Band Of Brothers' series, along with a few other British actors.

Toby Stephens played Gen. Custer in a docudrama 'The Wild West' (?), a few years ago.

Andrew Lincoln I feel is miscast in 'The Walking Dead', but being a zombie fan, I'm very much liking the series, especially season 2 and 3.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich

Damien Lewis also starred in the 'Band Of Brothers' series, along with a few other British actors.

And those guys were pretty good. Heck I thought Lewis was a US man.