rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Burt Lancaster's 'Zulu Dawn' Interview ?
Coll

After watching the film again last night, I remembered mention that there is footage of Lancaster being interviewed during the making of the film.

Can anyone tell me if it is on the net anywhere, perhaps youtube, under a specific heading, so that I may see it ?

Many thanks

Coll
Coll

Well, Lancaster's interview is great. He answers two questions in detail and much about portraying Col. Durnford. I'm delighted ! Very Happy

As for the deleted scenes and out-takes, what a missed opportunity by chosing others for the finished film rather than some of these, including a few that would have helped adhere the film together, as well as giving some of the actors a bit more to do.

A few of the deleted scenes/out-takes I think should have been added -

Burt Lancaster clearing the breech of a carbine for one of his men.

Maj. Russell's Rocket Battery moving through a shallow donga to its position.

Maj. Smith in action with the guns in close-up.

Sgt. Williams and Pvt. Willams extended scene with them dying together.

Bloomfield and Pullen fighting from the ammo wagon.

The extra action missing from the film, at the high point above the camp, showing fleeing soldiers and running Zulus fighting, with the camp being invaded down below.

The Zulus running through the tents in set-pieces, fighting sometimes in small individual actions.

The tents when the Zulus have swept through, leaving the dead in their wake.

Coll
Hi Burt Lancaster on set
naseby

Hi, Coll, as I have mentioned in a 'Zulu Dawn locations' thread, I remember an interview at the time form the Daily Mail 'on set' as the film was very much anticipated by many people. Apart from the locations mention, I remember Lancaster was not very nice about Britain's attitude. He said he liked seeing Britain getting its (I'll be barred now) kicked. On the Film '79 show I also remember him saying he was behind his black brothers and sort of religious. You may have seen it, but Anna Calder-Marshall has been interviewed about Zulu Dawn and what it was like on set. She mentioned Lancaster was a nice guy and got on with him well. She also mentions the difficulty under Apartheid etc., as well as her sort of getting the role of Frances Colenso accidentally. Also that people didn't receive payments, the film ran out of money, the Zulus were 'literally' up in arms about their treatment on set and she says some scenes subsequently had white actors blacked up! Just type it in the search engine if you haven't seen that article, maybe you have already.
Burt Lancaster's 'Zulu Dawn' Interview ?