rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu remake cast
Shane

Hi first post I love the film Zulu its been my favourite film for 22 of my 35 years knocking The Empire Strikes Back of No.1 spot at the age of 13. I would love to see a remake if only for Hook, I love the character Hook in the film but feel sorry for the family. Any way I was thinking about who I would like cast in a remake and went for Daniel Day Lewis as Chard, Jude Law as Bromhead, Vernon Francis (Frank Gallagher) as Witt, and Damien Lewis in some role. Not sure about other characters. Who would everyone else like in the remake if made if you could pick any one?
Coll

Shane

Jason Isaacs as Chard.

Hugh Grant as Bromhead.

Kate Winslet as Miss Witt.

Liam Neeson as Bourne.

Vinnie Jones as Hook.

Jeremy Irons as Otto Witt.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,

are talking about a remake as was or one closer to the "real story"?

Alan

Funnily enough, that was the question I posted to Shane yesterday, but ended up deleting it, as I wasn't sure what sort of remake he meant.

Do you remake 'Zulu' with the original script (which'll be hopefully published next year) or rewrite the whole thing with the aim to be nearer to the true events ? Confused

My answer is a bit of both I guess, though the choice for the Witts is obviously related to the original film.

Coll
Shane

I meant a remake closer to the real story. That's one of the reasons I went for Daniel Day Lewis he takes everything seriously and he would make a real effort to get Chard right. I was struggling to think of an actor to play a more true to life Hook but I see were your going with V.Jones if it was a retake on the old movie. I know you have to change some details about the story for it to fit into movie format but not to the extent it was done with Hook, I don't think you could do another Rorke's Drift film and get Hook or any other character so wrong again.
Coll

I'd still opt for Jason Isaacs as Chard and Hugh Grant as Bromhead for a new film about Rorke's Drift, if going for a real events approach.

If you compare their photographs with Chard and Bromhead, you'll see they are reasonably good matches appearance-wise to portray them.

Coll
Martin Everett

I am not sure of the value of this debate.

A remake will always be compared to the original and will be found wanting. Movie 'Zulu' will always be for many people the first insight into an understanding what happened at Rorke's Drift.

I suppose the only comparison is AEW Mason's 'The Four Feathers' - (1) a silent version in 1929, (2) The famous Korda version in 1939 - a classic (3) Storm over the Nile in 1955 (4) Remake in 1977 (5) Remake in 2002. It is difficult to beat the 1939 version.

Yet nobody mentions the South African 1919 silent version of Rorke's Drift - always the 1964 remake Zulu.

Shane

Not sure that this is any value to this topic. Just a what if, what you would like to see if it did happen and I know what your saying about the 1964 film being the starting point for a lot of peoples interest in the period, maybe a new film or mini series about the Zulu war would do the same for a younger generation. But really the question was meant as a bit of fun nothing serious.
I've not heard of the 1919 film and would like to see it do you know if or where it is available.
Alan
Site Admin

Martin Everett wrote:
I am not sure of the value of this debate.

It is more of a discussion rather than a debate.

For those interested in 1918 Film (sorry I quoted 1919) - Symbol of Sacrifice -

http://www.vintagemedia.co.za/film/the-symbol-of-sacrifice

The Klip River - near Henley on Klip - South of Johnnesburg was used as the Buffalo River crossing point - now a residental area - but a place to visit - particularly as this was the place where Col J W Colenbrander (playing Lord Chelmsford) actually drowned. There is much to learn.

Coll

Martin

I guess it's because most of us weren't around in 1918 Wink , and of course it is the technicolor and music that helped make 'Zulu' what it was.

I'm repeating myself, but it is really Isandlwana that could do with being a new film, as I'm sure even comparing it to 'Zulu Dawn', it would be seen as a vast improvement on that film.

Maybe discussing actors for an Isandlwana film might be an option for those not wanting 'Zulu' and the story of Rorke's Drift updated.

Coll
rich

Well from a purely historical point of view for film and for the presentation of AZW history it would be nice to have this silent film on dvd for posterity. But I'm supposing that the museum in Pretoria figures they won't cover cost if they produced it for the public. It's too bad that the AZW isn't as popular as say Shackleton's expedition to the South Pole since some of the exploits of his explorations are available on dvd and that was because he had a great photographer with him.
On another note "Symbol of Sacrifice", being produced in 1918 is only 39 years away from the actual event being portrayed. I'd be intrigued to the sources used in developing the film. I'd figure that there would be many who could provide the producers with their memories of the War.

Other actors - Zulu Dawn/Zulu remakes -

Jeremy Irons - Lord Chelmsford

Pierce Brosnan - Col. Durnford

Richard E. Grant - Col. Pulleine

Jude Law - Lt. Coghill

Hugh Grant - Lt. Anstey

Liam Neeson - Quartermaster Pullen/Bloomfield

Ralph Fiennes - Lt. Pope

Colin Firth - Capt. Younghusband

Christian Bale - Lt. Melvill

Mix in some U.S. actors :- (due to combined British/U.S. funding)

Brad Pitt - Lt. Raw/Vereker

Keanu Reeves - Lt. Scott

Denzel Washington - N.N.H. Sgt. Maj.

Coll
The Scorer

Martin Everett wrote:
For those interested in 1918 Film (sorry I quoted 1919) - Symbol of Sacrifice -
http://www.vintagemedia.co.za/film/the-symbol-of-sacrifice

I was interested to see that one of the actors (playing "Private Jones") was "Sergeant Jones VC".

Does anyone know who this might have been, please? There have been eight people called Jones awarded the Victoria Cross, but most of them were either dead or not born when the film was made. The former includes, of course, Robert Jones VC and William Jones VC, who died in 1898 and 1913 respectively.

There are two possibilities, although one of them is unlikely and the other wasn't a Sergeant. The former is Alfred Stowell Jones, who was awarded his Cross in the Crimean War (1855) but who would have been aged 86 when the film was made - and was a Lieutenant Colonel when he retired.

The other candidate is Thomas Alfred ("Todger") Jones, whose Cross was awarded in France in 1916, but who wasn't a Sergeant.

I realise that many of the cast can't be verified, but does anyone have any idea who this person could have been, please?

Thank you.

Smile
margaret mcfarlane

If ever they do remake Zulu I hope they include the brave dog (whatever his name was) as he doesn't often get a mention.
Zulu remake cast