rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Original Zulu Poster
ayr41

Although I have no intention of selling I have an original 1964 full size UK "Zulu" cimema poster, the one with Zulu in large letters and a light blue back ground, it is folded but with the exception of two very minor tears and the pinholes it must of been hung up with in the cinema, I just wondered how much it would be worth. I did try to get a frame for it but could not find one big enough.
Coll

ayr41

I'm not sure how much an original poster is worth, but I would imagine the price rises more are time goes by.

However, I think you should see about getting a picture framer to make a frame for your poster, if none of the size you need is readily available.

This will help to prevent any damage to the poster, keeping it in good condition, as in the long run, the better it is looked after, the more it will be worth.

Not only that, but it will look great framed !

Coll
Sawubona

Ayr,
There are many different "full size" posters. What are the dimensions of the poster you have? If it's around 40-42 inches by 38-30 inches, you have a so called "one sheet" which, in my opinion are the most desireable-- they're not too large to frame and hang, but not so small to lose their impact. This site has a number of posters from ZULU pictured in the pot pourri section off the home page. Take a look. Is the image the same or similar to the "American" poster shown? The one pictured incidently is the US one-sheet, which depending on its condition can be sold from $150-$500 depending on its condition.
I agree with Coll that you should get it in a frame for protection. Hang it out of the sunlight and back it with an acid free or "archival" backing. We sell frame kits here which allow you to buy two pairs of sides depending on what you need. I just framed a one sheet (40" x 28") for $22 for the four sides, $9 for the acid free foam board backing, and $15 for the plexiglass front. I think that was a small price to pay for a poster that's worth a couple of hundred dollars at least. If it's too big for that kind of frame, then you probably have a quad or even a six-sheet! Both are valuable, but are getting a bit too large to be super collectible.
And be aware also that there are professionals that can clean the paper, mend tears, replace missing sections (not too large of course), and linen back the finished product. Pricey, but a good investment and something to be aware of for future thought.
Whatever you chose to do, take care of it 'cause they don't make them anymore, but they're still making more and more people who want them!
Dawn

Ayr

Sawubona is right. If it is valuable you need to have it framed to 'museum quality' which is pricey but preserves the article for many years, and therefore its value.

Use a professional picture framer for this and choose one who is either a member of "The Fine Art Trade Guild" if you are in the UK or frames according the the specifications of the Library of Congress if you are in USA.

Choose glass that has a UV rating that protects the article from sunlight. This is more expensive but will shield the poster from damaging sunlight (even reflected sunlight is bad for paper).

If using a matboard, make sure it is 'rag' which is made from cotton plants and is less acidic than that made from wood pulp. Again more expensive but preserves the article for much longer.

Everything that touches the poster must be at least 'acid free'. You can get archival papers that are neutral acidity etc etc but let the framer advise you on this. A good professional framer should also be able to repair the tears and holes.

Some people are unaware that there are five different types of framing, starting with 'budget' and moving up to 'museum quality'. "conservation quality' is actually one below 'museum quality'. If you specify at which level you wish the article to be framed, you will be letting the framer know what type of materials you wish to have used, but confirm this at interview time.

Of course, with anything, the cost depends on the materials used so you are wise to find out how much the poster is worth before having it framed. If you find that it is quite valuable, I would advise that you not frame it yourself.

How do I know all this? I'm married to a picture framer.

Dawn
Zulu Poster
ayr41

Many thanks for your help, the poster is 40" by 30", I went to a frame shop in my home town of Ayr but he wanted �200 to frame the poster. The poster is by Kent art printers ltd of rochester, bottom half sand colour and top half sky blue, the word ZULU taking up the majority of the poster with a lot of drawing type Zulu warriors around the base of the title.

The creases are the only detraction with the pin holes in each corner, the two minor tears are only in the inch white surround which I believe would take from to it's value, I get the immpression from your advice rather than to leave it folded up and stored it would be better to have it framed, may take a trip into Glasgow in the near future to find somone who can do a good job on it. Thanks again for your help.
Sawubona

Ooops! Sorry about the typo when I was suggesting a range of dimensions. I meant to write "28-30 inches" for the one-sheet size. So you've definitely got a one-sheet, which is a kind of the Holy Grail tof the movie poster collector. Good for you! I'm certainly no expert, but my impression is that paper on paper contact (like when a poster is folded) is one of the best ways to damage these things over time and it has to do with the acid inherent in the paper.
Two hundred pounds sounds like a bit much to spend (and I don't mean to suggest that the framer is overcharging or anything for a large custom frame, Dawn). Over here, the UV glass is the big expense. I was just quoted $78.00 for a piece that size, but that was by a shop that was asking $58 for a piece of plexi cut to the same size and I bought the same sheet of plexi for $16 at a hardware store down the street. Do shop around and maybe spend the money you save on stabizing the ravages of time on the paper or having it linen backed? And check out the Net for info on care and feeding of movie posters. I've seen an entire site dedicated to what should and should not be done with them and what can be done by professionals in terms of restoration. And while you're at it, check out the prices some movie one-sheets can sell for -- I've seen them in the tens of thousands of dollars! Good Luck!
leightarrant

Hi - Further to your original question - The ZULU GB quad is currently up for a bidding price of �500-�700 at the forthcoming Christies Movie Poster sale in March. Check their site...

I currently have a vintage poster collection including many ZULU posters from all over the world, the British quad eludes me...i have the re-issue from 1972. this tends to fetch about �200.

Worth holding onto what you've got ! Get it linen-backed and mounted in a frame, keep out of sunlight, and in years to come it'll be worth a small fortune.....
Johnny_H

I think I am going to purchase a reprint of an Italian poster Very Happy

Take a look !

http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-6188/Zulu.html

very unrelated but if you happen to have a pre-release "Revenge of the Jedi" ( the name of Return of the Jedi befor it was changed )

look at what that fetches Shocked
http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-13644/Revenge_Of_The_Jedi.html

Original Zulu Poster
ayr41

As Johnny points out amazing what these posters can fetch, sounds like I have a good one but a shame about the creases. Went to a professional framer who is going to flatten out the poster with abacking with a double border and a gold colour frame, looks really impressive as the colours match the border and frame. Would have liked a UV glass as suggested but that was another �120, If I can work out how to post a picture with my digital camara when it comes back from the frame shop I will put it up on this forum so you can give me your views. Thanks again for all your replies.
Christies
ayr41

Thanks leightarrant, just checked out the Christies site and the poster there is the exact same as I have with an estimate of �500 - 700 so that was a nice suprise therefore justified in getting it framed, although can't really tell by the photo may be in better condition than mine but as you say in years to come? : Arrow

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/search/LotDetail.asp?sid=&intObjectID=4675743&SE=CMWCAT04+28066+%2D336075968+&QR=M+1+0+Aqc0000900+24733++Aqc0000900+&entry=zulu&T=Lot&SU=1&RQ=False&AN=1
Now on the wall
ayr41

Just got the original quad Zulu poster back today from the frame shop, looks absolutely superb, now pride of place with my signed Kylie poster relegated to a minor wall, well at least the wife is happy. Thanks again all for the advice.

Regards Stephen.
Sawubona

Stephen,
That news gives me what we call here a "warm fuzzy feeling". It's great that you had the work done and greater still that you seem thrilled by the results. Collecting and preserving "ephemera" (posters and papers and such) is thought by some to be foolish, but its transitory nature is what excites me. I collect pretty eclectically, but vintage (read Victorian) firearms, uniforms, and edged weapons have to be pretty abused before they give up the ghost. Leather however is much more delicate so I'll grab a minor part to a valise pattern kit before a Martini-Henry rifle. Yet Ephemera (Latin, incidently, for "fleeting") is the most delicate of all and I'll wager that in about thirty or so years that newer poster of yours can be swapped for several of what "they" thought would be valuable. Ya done good to do what ya done.
And I'm watching the Christie auction, although (sorry) I think that the appraisal is too high. We'll see when the bids are tallied and I'll be very happy if I'm wrong on that count, since I've quite a few of such things myself (none as nice as yours though)! Sawubona
Sawubona

Can anyone tell me what the "hammer price" was on the Christie's auction quad mentioned above? I went to the site and determined that the auction had indeed ended, but I couldn't find what the winning bid was.
leightarrant

THINK IT WAS �900 - Have to double check, a source in America purchased it...Prices always get high at auction, higher than items are really worth...
Sawubona

Thanks, Leigh. Wow! Could you kindly check to see if that was the price?
Original Zulu Poster