rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Dawn Free on DVD
Haydn Jones

A bit late in the day I know but today's "Mail On Sunday" carried a two page spread by Adrian Greaves on Isandlwana. The paper also announced that next week's issue (26 Feb) will include a free copy of Zulu Dawn on DVD. OK, OK, I know we've all seen it but you could always buy yourselves half a dozen copies. Even if you don't get round to watching them all at least you'll have a nice set of coasters!! Laughing
Peter Ewart

Nice one, Haydn - especially as that's about all it's fit for!

P.
Coll

Haydn

Thanks for the info.

Until a better film is made about Isandlwana, 'Zulu Dawn' will do at the moment.

No harm in having 1 or 2 more dvds. Or a couple of dozen !

Need to enlist some relatives I think.

It will probably be the biggest selling newspaper that day.

Where I live anyway !

Coll
Dawn

Spare a thought for us poor souls on the other side of the world who have to do without. Crying or Very sad

Dawn
(Not that I really need another copy)
Haydn Jones

That's what you get for living in the colonies Dawn (only joking!) But hey, at least you've got some decent rugby teams down there (not joking - sadly!)
H
Coll

I wonder if this will encourage 1 or 2 new visitors to this site ?

Although it has been shown on television a few times, the fact that it is supplied free with the newspaper, might interest enough people to watch, 'because it is there' if nothing else.

I dread to think of how many copies may be thrown in the bin !

It was strange when I saw the clips from the film, for a change not to inform us of it appearing on television, but on the cover of a newspaper (front page ?) as it sort of reminded me of the trailers and ads when a new film was due to be released, and it was unusual to see images from 'Zulu Dawn', as it is not a film that I thought would be considered for such an offer.

It was fortunate that I knew from this post about the dvd, because if I had just glimpsed a clip from the ad, I might have thought it was a new film about Isandlwana, in much the same way when I saw the clip of the battle scene from 'The Four Feathers'.

Anyway, it is a shame to know a few of the dvds will end up being discarded, as some of us still enjoy watching it so much.

However, I don't imagine I'd go so far as to create 'SAVE ZULU DAWN' t-shirts or posters, to prevent such unnecessary losses of a great film.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

I notice that the sleeve note has Frere played by Nigel Davenport.
Alan
Coll

Alan

Yes. I checked the dvds I already had in my possession and they say the same, but the videos that I have of the film do say John Mills on the back cover.

I hadn't been aware of this mistake before, I just assumed the back cover of the dvd would say exactly the same as on the video.

Coll
Paper change
ayr41

Probably make a good poll but how many of us bought the Mail on Sunday instead or extra to their usual Sundays, me for one even though I have the DVD WELL WHATS �1.40 FOR AN EXTRA COPY?
diagralex

The cover picture of Simon Ward also shows him dressed in a scarlet uniform.
Where did the distributors get that from ?

Graham
ralph dyer

living in holland, i sent my son to the store for the dvd, lol. an extra copy is OK, and i have the video in vhs and the betamax version lol any one selling a betamax player out there.

Well, I have to admit I obtained 5 dvds.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
re-release?
Tom516

Has there been like a re-release or something? I know I saw Shaka Zulu, the mini-series for sale recently (saving up for that!) and if Zulu Dawn is coming out it's pretty much a must have for me.

Thanks,

Coll

Tom

'Zulu Dawn' has been available on dvd for a while, although the possibility of obtaining copies may vary, if living outside the U.K.

'Zulu Dawn' being released as a free dvd with a newspaper did sort of surprise me, but in saying that, I wouldn't think the same offer would arise with 'Zulu', as it truly is an epic film, still highly regarded by audiences and AZW enthusiasts alike.

Coll
Ebay
ayr41

I think someone must work in a newsagents, on ebay today someone has listed about 20 copies all for a 1p each start, fill your boots.
Zulu Dawn Free on DVD