rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
peterw

A couple of reviews for those who are interested. I want the home-cinema set up owned by the first the reviewer.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_58/zulu_dawn_blu-ray.htm

http://www.mondo-digital.com/zuludawn.html

The screen grabs look a world apart from anything that I could produce so maybe there is a point to Blu-ray after all.
Peter
Sawubona

"Needless to say, it would be completely unfair to compare this film to the reference quality British Blu-Ray of the original 70mm Zulu, which is still one of the most gorgeous HD transfers ever released."

I cut and pasted that quote from the second link you posted, Peter, as further affirmation of my own opinion. If you ever were to have the opportunity to see the first five minutes of the BR DVD copy of ZULU on a fair sized high def flat screen, you'd be off to your nearest Wal-Mart (or where ever you shop for electronics) in a heartbeat. I favor the LG wireless unit that can be had for just over $100. It effortlessly plays PAL and NSTC, doesn't hiccup on MPG's OR JPEG's (go figger) and streams videos wirelessly off your router from all of the popular sites (Netflix, Youtube, Vudu, etc). Connect that to your new 720p 40" or smaller flatscreen or your 1080p "wall filler" and you'll wonder why you waited so long to enter this brave new world.
Coll

Zulu Dawn really was a missed opportunity wasn't it ?

A Zulu-quality script, much larger budget and a few cast changes, could have made such a difference to the finished product.

Coll
Coll

ORDERED ! Very Happy

I'll give a small review about it if interested.

Coll
Coll

Well, my Zulu Dawn blu-ray two disc set has just arrived.

Watching it tonight, with a couple of drams !😃🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Coll
Coll

In my opinion, the detail in the foreground is sharper - faces, uniforms, etc., but non-Zulu Dawn fans probably are happy enough with the last edition, if they bought it. Sound quality could have done with being improved.

Ian's documentary from the actual battlefield was good, though he was almost drowned out by the wind, which sounded like thunder on occasion.

Thankfully, he took a bit of time speaking about Durnford from where he had fought in the donga to where he made his stand, though away from the monument further to the right flank, saying the body was found at the former, not the latter.

Anyway, to any not agreeing with the heroic depiction of Durnford fighting from atop a wagon in Zulu Dawn, Ian mentions the body was near to a wagon - (so not too far-fetched, as it might have happened, due to the fact he also made himself very visible at the donga too).

Thoughts ? - well, sound quality improvement would have been good, but the sorely missed/much needed deleted scenes, in my view, would have raised the film up a level.

All in all. Great to own, no need to issue further editions, unless including the aforementioned points.

Coll
peterw

The new ZD release includes two discs - the Blu-Ray and a standard DVD disc which will play on DVD players, pcs etc. The DVD version has also been cleaned up so as to be much clearer and crisper than previous DVD releases (so a better quality picture), and has the same extras on it as the Blu-Ray disc. They'll probably have to get it through Amazon, but although it's a US release it is a region-free disc, meaning it plays on all players.

The improved "ordinary" version was being played at the RLC Museum yesterday and I was very impressed with the picture quality.

Peter
Zulu Dawn Blu-Ray
Steve Moore

Hi watched the US Blu-Ray disc last night. Vastly better visual and sound quality than any of the previous DVD releases. (Not played the new DVD disc yet). Played fine on my old non multi region Blue Ray player, so no region lock.
IK,s "History of the Zulu Wars " was very concise and will hopefully get people new to the AZW interested in "what really happened"?
The less than PC comments by Midge Carter are amusing, so all in all well worth the cost.
Cheers
Steve
Zulu Dawn Blu Ray