rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Orlando Bloom set for ZULU new film
leightarrant

Its official, Orlando bloom is set to star in a new film entitled Zulu.
Orlando Bloom and Djimon Hounsou are set to lead Jerome Salle�s crime thriller Zulu. Not to be confused with the 1964 Michael Caine movie of the same name, Zulu is based on the novel by Caryl F�rey and centers on two Cape Town cops (Bloom, Hounsou) who are called in to investigate the murder of Sprikboks� rugby team player�s 18-year-old daughter. While I haven�t seen Salle�s previous films (The Tourist was based on his movie Anthony Zimmer, but he can�t be blamed for that), I like the pairing of Bloom and Hounsou, and this sounds like it could be a good set-up for a nice little thriller. Screen Daily reports that filming will take place in July.
So its okay, this is not going to be a Zulu remake, but will be confusing for some....But could be a worthy talking point at this forum in due course.
Coll

Leigh

To save confusion they should call it something different.

Coll

PS. By the way, in my film magazine, Baker's Zulu dvd is being/has been released again. Apparently in vivid hi-def, but blu-ray only.
Peter Ewart

Leigh/Coll

I'm not really up to date with the film world these days and must admit I had to google this chap's name. Before then, the only thing which came to mind was washing machines, but that was John Bloom, wasn't it? Turns out your chap comes from Canterbury and attended King's School, like Bradstreet of course (kia Isandlwana). So perhaps it should be a Zulu remake?

P.
Coll

Peter

Orlando is more used to fighting a goblin army as an Elf archer, in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, maybe also appearing in new film The Hobbit.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these films.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Never read any of Tolkein's work although they've been in the house for nearly 40 years. (I didn't buy them!) Nor seen the films either, but I've been threatened with being dragged along to the pictures for this new one over Christmas. I'll try to put washing machines right to the back of my mind.

P.
Coll

Peter

It looks bloody awful.

Coll
Sawubona

I'm somewhat surprised, Peter, that you've never read Tolkien. After all, he is still recognized as one of the finest (if not the finest) scholars of the English language. His "translation" of Gawain and The Green Knight is required reading to this day for most college level English language history classes over here. The Hobbit was written to entertain his children and the Lord of the Rings was to pay the bills and because he could, but he wasn't the sort of author (in his lifetime anyway) whose name is on the cover of a book in larger fonts than the title of the book itself.
Keith Smith

I must confess that I found my first sally into Tolkien to be something of a trial and I only made reasonable sense of it after about the third reading. It finally became crystal clear after seeing the three Peter Jackson movies, which I think were something of a triumph, keeping very closely to the original books. I am astonished that they have made the Hobbit film a three-parter - it contains less that 350 pages and could have been told in an hour and a half. How greedy is that!

KIS
shearer

Coll, please watch The Lord of the rings trilogy they're very good,the director of them is making a remake of the damn busters,with a script by Stephen fry, if you don't like em you can always watch Zulu again, I bet you know the script by heart
Peter Ewart

Saw

I've read very little fiction since I was young and the period on which Tolkien based his work had little appeal for me in those days. I remember my wife & brother-in-law devouring these works in the '70s but I suppose I viewed them as fantasy rather than fiction. Improving my enjoyment & knowledge of Dickens and a few others (eventually) will be way ahead of dipping into the world of Tolkien. On the other hand, with the "dark ages" being less dark these days, I do now know more about the period - but history rather than fantasy still appeals to me more.

I don't know whether the works would have appealed to me as a child if I'd been exposed to them. I tend to doubt it - and I'm pretty sure I never came across them during my schooling. A gap in my development here, Saw!

Peter
rich

The Ring Trilogy... I figured if JRR was alive today he'd be ecstatic that hsi works were translated to film. They are, of course, the product of a great imagination. The thing which gets me is how much effort also went into how the films were made. The dvds have hours devoted to it. I guess that's OK buit I just can't see the point of it. For me, it's like magic, why know how a trick is done? Why lose the mystery? I always wonder how JRR would have looked at that.