rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulunation: End Of Empire. By Gary Reed & Wayne Reid
Coll

This is a graphic novel, based on the rise of the Zulus and the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift.

With the Osprey Graphic History series apparently finished, this appears to be an alternative but with the same approach.

It is interesting, due again to trying to make it appeal to a younger readership, though adults too.

I'll be getting it soon, but wondered if anyone else has bought it ?

Coll
Mark Hobson

There was a 3-part comic series that came out in the 90's also called Zulunation, telling the story of Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift. It was, if I remember correctly, an American publication. Sadly, I leant them to an aquaintance a few years back and they were never returned! Therefore I can't give you the names of the authors and illustrators, but it could be the same one you're referring to.

It was quite good fun if a little amateurish.
Coll

Mark

It mentions 2012, but could be a reprint.

On amazon it lets you see a few pages, one apparently depicting Chelmsford being concerned about being blamed for Isandlwana, whilst in a tent with Glyn(?), also mentioning that Wolseley was on his way to replace him.

Coll
Mark Hobson

I've checked it out on Amazon and, yes, it is the same. I guess the 3-part comic series has been gathered into one volume.

I've also recently bought a 2-part comic entitled "Water Cart Rescue", which deals with Lieutenant Bromhead's sortie over the biscuit box wall to retrieve the water cart.

Both series are of a similar nature. They may not be highly academic but are good fun nonetheless!
Zulunation: End Of Empire. By Gary Reed & Wayne Reid