rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Braces or Suspenders, dependant upon where you are.
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Greetings,

I am trying to get information on the construction of a simple part of male clothing, referred to as either braces or suspenders but used to stop the trousers from falling down. I gather that they were, in some circles considered as part of underwear, but I cannot find any detailed information apart from observing them in a few photographs when the wearer had removed his jacket.

I have my doubts as to their construction being from elasticated straps and metal fittings. I imagine them being made from flat woven cotton with leather attachments sewn for connecting with the buttons on the trousers, both fore and aft.........but I am uncertain. Further, I do ponder if they were expandable or a "one size fits all."

I have noted the "re-enactment American civil war braces" available on Ebay but have my doubts as to their accuracy, which is why I am looking at making my own set.......Fool that I am.

Accordingly, any guidance on their material, construction or assembly would be gratefully appreciated.

My Thanks.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Braces or Suspenders, dependant upon where you are.