rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Enlistment
Dawn

In the early days of the British army, a soldier enlisted for life. I understand that during the army reforms, this was reduced to a certain number of years and this depends on when a soldier enlisted, determined by the regulations of the time, I guess. As most of the 2/24th seem to have enlisted in 1877, does anyone know what would have been the normal expected period of enlistment for these soldiers?

Dawn
Michael Boyle

Dawn,

I suppose it depends on how one defines "life"! The actual pre-Cardwell reforms term of enlistment was 21 years or until invalided out (although it was possible for an OR to buy out his enlistment as I believe Henry Hook did, I'm not sure if that option was always available). Soldiering being as tough as it was back then I suppose 21 yrs. was actually longer than many a soldier's lifespan turned out to be. The Army Enlistment Act of 1870 shortened the 21 yrs. to 12 with 5,6,or 7 yrs. generally 'with the Colours' and the remainder in reserve. (I'm not sure if there was any financial recompense or drill for the remainder of the enlistment or if the soldier was required to maintain his kit until his 12 yrs. was up as modern reservists must.)

[Come to think of it, as an 18 yr. old, the thought of 6 yrs. didn't seem appreciably less than 20 to my mind at the time I enlisted because I felt I'd be a old man either way when I got out! Funny how a few decades alters one's definition of old.]

MAB
Dawn

Michael

I couldn't imagine signing up for 12 years, never mind 'life' but I think it was different in those days and employment opportunities were limited. I guess it would be regarded as the poor man's way of seeing something of the world. Just a few hazards thrown in, like the risk of being killed!

And I believe those that signed up under the old system had to remain under the old terms while their younger compatriots had the benefit of shorter terms.

Such was life back then

Dawn
Martin Everett

Dawn,

Full pensionable service was 21 years - few soldiers exceeded that term unless a commissioned Quartermaster - many did less and finished without a pension. You could get a discharge (at any time) for medical reasons - and be awarded a Chelsea out-pension (a early example of a disability pension). The pension could be paid for life or just a fix period to enable the former soldier to 'find his feet' in civilian life. Details of these individual pension awards are in WO116 ledgers in the National Archives at Kew and make facinating reading - particularly if you wish to get closer to understanding the hardships of soldiering during AZW.

From memory, a (initial) fixed engagements for army recruits was introduced in 1847 - 10 years. In 1870 short service was introduced - 12 years with 6 with the Colours followed by 6 on the Reserve. This continued until WW1 - although the most common engagement was 7/5 between 1881-1914. This is difficult for some relatives to understand - when the soldier rearched the reserve period - he was out of uniform, got a civilian job, and in a large number of cases got married - as this was not practical while serving as only 6 in 100 achieved the married establishment status. Yet he may recorded on the census/marriage certificate that he was a soldier (yet actually on the reserve).

Many soldiers were recalled for service while on the reserve - John (Fielding) Williams VC is an example. Later at the beginning of the 2ABW, the 2nd Battalion was augmented by some 600 reservists before it went to South Africa. In August 1914, most of the pictures you see are reservists (not recruits) at the Recuriting Offices rejoining.

I trust that helps.

Dawn

Martin
Thanks, that's a big help. Interesting about the reservists, reminds me of the SA national service: 2 years in the service and then a camp every year for about 10 years. An arduous thing once married and with a family. The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Dawn
Enlistment