rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Something really interesting (possible AZW FPS)
ZTW_julian

Well I know a couple of people have been interested by the idea of having an AZW period first person shooter. I think I may of found a solution of some sort, though its not definite. Excited? Read on...

I was looking at FPS mods to see if anyone had attempted going to an earlier period than the first world war, which is about the earliest developers make them. I turns out a large team of modders had developed a mod called echoes of glory for Unreal Tournament. It loks fairly good, you can check it out here

http://www.eog-mod.com

However, Unreal tournament isn't exactly great for this period but after further research I found they are also adapting the mod for Battlefield 2, which means cavalry (as in you can get on or off horses because they replace vehicles), muskets and swords. Plus, much better graphics! Check out the awesome screenshots here:

http://mods.moddb.com/3191/Echoes-of-Glory/

Now as you can see the time period is very close to that of the AZW period and the characters that they are using are similar in style and equipment so could probably be reskinned into AZW characters. Battlefield 2 also allows for scripted campaigns so you could carry out scenarios you would like to see.

Now their mod isn't even finished yet but when it is I might even buy Battlefield 2 (providing my computer is up to it) and look into modifying that again into an AZW game. Of course this is a long way off, years maybe seen as they are not even half way done and we would have to contact them and sort out any legal issues. Also I'm too busy at the moment but its certainly a possibility for the future and after ZTW has come out.

Regards,

Julian
Johnny_H

There is also a fun Half Life 2 Rev war mod as well

http://www.bgmod.com/

Cheers ( its in early stages so its not the greatest looking, but judging from the Half Life 1 versions it shoudl be really fun, sometimes on some servers you can actually convince people to fire in vollys and such it was a blast )

ZTW_julian

Looks interesting! At least we know this kind of thing can be done. I think the best thing about modding it for battlefield 2 though would be the ability to get on a horse. Very Happy
Coll

Checked the sites mentioned. The images are great.

I'm trying hard to understand what computers are capable of, for the first time purchasing and reading gaming magazines (I'm only about 150 or so issues behind everyone else ! ), attempting to find out as much as I can, regarding the designs/designing of various types of games which may be able to cover the AZW - figures, use of weaponry, detailed battlefield terrain, etc. etc.

I appreciate the updates of what is and may be available, as I've discovered that gaming the AZW has really caught my attention.

Thanks very much

Coll
Rorke's Drift for Rogue Spear?
Tom516

Please take note that these are about 5 years old and yes we have no textures for the Martini-Henrys...

Cheers,

Coll

Tom

Thanks for the screenshots, as they do give an idea of the development of an AZW-related game.

Coll
game review
Tom516

Hi Coll,

You have played Call of Duty though right? Could you give me a bit of a game review, and highlight any points that could work for a possible AZW mod? I may not have the time to do a full mod but perhaps I may be able to even just give you some costumes and weapons to make it feel like a Zulu FPS... if, err, the Zulus invaded Europe in 1940 or something.

Looking forward to reading it!

Coll

Tom

Thanks. That sounds quite unusual, but intriguing at the same time.

Unfortunately, however, Call of Duty is one of the games I can't play on my computer. Not enough RAM apparently.

Although, looking at the screenshots and the instructions, it does appear to be very similar to Medal Of Honour Allied Assault, which I have played.

Not much help, I know, as this doesn't give any indication of what Call Of Duty's scenarios, playability, etc., consists of.

In the event of me acquiring a new computer, hopefully this year, if your offer still stands, I'd be delighted to see the results from a partial AZW mod of this game.

Thanks very much

Coll
CoD offer
Tom516

Ouch! If it won't work with you, I dread to think of mine... I guess that's why I've stuck with old Rogue Spear Urban Ops (RS:UO) this long. My machine can handle it easily and it only requires 3D Studio Max 2 or 3, no high level stuff. My OS (Operating System) can't handle the higher 3DSM's and I really do feel bad when I dump a ton of stuff on Julian and am powerless to help beyond the textures.

The one advantage I see in CoD is it's a multi-soldier shooter. RS:UO is very limited - 8 men max, the only 'allies' you can have are actually "hostages". No friendly AI troops unfortunately. However CoD apparently has the bad old 'health bar' and medic kit recovery mechanism. That really is a put off.

Something really interesting (possible AZW FPS)