rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Films to be seen in WIDESCREEN before you die!!!!
leightarrant

ZULU !!! ...... then there's

Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Truly funny film) love the stunts and the one liners

Battle Of Britain

The Alamo (John Wayne)

Bridge On The River Kwai

Guns of Navarone

How The West Was Won

Custer Of the West

This Is Cinerama

O Lucky Man

Mutiny On the Bounty (Brando)

Waterloo (1970)

2001 A Space Odyessy

Where Eagles Dare

All in all a good weeks viewing...Bring on the cinema, Popcorn and Pepsi and the odd hot dog and I'm there!!! ZULU would be best to start with...and finish with for that matter...Let the good times roll.
Johnny_H

Waterloo (1970)

I would give anything for this, but there is not even a tentative N.American release for this title.

Sheldon Hall

Johnny,
WATERLOO has been released as a Region 2 DVD by Columbia; it has a trailer, excellent stereo sound and is in the proper aspect ratio, though some of the horse falls in the battle have been cut by the UK censor. The US rights are owned by Paramount (or were in the 70s - they may have changed hands since), so I suggest you petition them!
Sheldon Hall

Forgot to add...

THIS IS CINERAMA and HOW THE WEST WAS WON can both be seen (on March 12 and 10 respectively) at the Bradford Film Festival's Widescreen Weekend in their original three-strip, seven-track, curved screen formats (the Pictureville Cinema at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television is one of only three venues in the world where Cinerama can be projected). CUSTER OF THE WEST is also showing in 70mm (March 10), as are (among others) THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, SOUTH PACIFIC, THE BIBLE, FAR AND AWAY, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO ... and (in a mint-condition 35mm print) ZULU!!
Rich

Thanks Sheldon you just reminded me. I'd better get on the horn to Paramount for "Waterloo". Have it on VHS but was waiting for a dvd release. Oh and probably same thing about "Becket", eh? That has to be languishing somewhere now in a bunch of lawyer desks...
Sheldon Hall

Rich, I believe BECKET has tentatively been lined up for DVD release by MPI, which bought the video rights from Paramount years ago. Keep an eye open for announcements.
Rich

That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to it. And fyi I just picked up
Rene Clement's "Battle of the Rails" which was done back in '46 and came out here last week. The film is grainy and looks so realistic. Got to hand it to the French railway workers. They know how to screw up train travel!
Alan
Site Admin

Rich wrote:
Got to hand it to the French railway workers. They know how to screw up train travel!

The French don't have a monopoly on that.
Alan
If only...
leightarrant

I lived near Bradford!!!! I'm a southerner myself....a long long way to go to see these films.......London and the south east can't offer the same. Bring back the Cinerama screen in Old Compton Street I say - I walk past it every day, all I see is Mary poppins looking at me with her umbrella......Now I remember seeing Jack Hawkins at the Bridge On The River Kwai showing way back in about 1972.....Thats the memories I have of this truly magnificent building. I did attend about 2 years ago a 'GENRE CLASSICS' screening of WHERE EAGLES DARE held at the EMPIRE in Leicester Square. That was magnificent, I met Ingrid Pitt and Caroline Munroe, there was a little talk before the film, all in all a great Sunday out, sadly I think the Genre Classics team have folded, but to see this epic war movie on the big screen with a loud stereo soundtrack played at a decent volume.....awesome! WATERLOO was fantastic too! I also went along to the West End to see it when it came out, I remember loving the great music by Nina Rota, and the tremendous Movie poster too. (Which I have in mint condition) By the way...when was the last time ZULU had a general release in the UK?? Does anybody know? It couldn't have been as far back as 1972.....Could it?? I'll have to read Sheldons book again!
Wobblefilms

I saw ZULU on the big screen at Luton ABC cinema around 1975 or 76, I think it was on general release then before it premiered on TV on New years eve (long before home video)
Rich

heh heh... oh Alan .do I detect a disenchantment with English efficiency along those er... lines??? Wink
leightarrant

ZULU had a run at the now defunct SCALA cinema in Kings Cross, London, which I feel would have been 1975, 1976?? Don't think it was on a general release though.
Sheldon Hall

Last general release was in 1976, on the ABC circuit.
Sawubona

The Alamo with John Wayne?! I'll concede that it's a sweeping war movie, but so fictionalized that even a neophyte like myself takes exception and John Wayne is just sooo miscast (and I believe he cast himself?) as the tall, lanky ruddy-faced "DAVID" (he apparently detested being called "Davy"when he was alive) Crockett. Sorry, but IMHO B.B. Thornton in the remake (re-remake) is way better in the part, the newest movie is historically more accurate and, thanks in part to CGI but more to cinematography. far more sweeping. Keep the Alamo in your list, but lose John Wayne's "interpretation" and add the remake! "Were gonna move the Mexicans inna circle!" Hey, John Wayne is easy to impersonate, but those same impersonations don't always work in text. I don't care where you're from, that was funny.
Sheldon Hall

Sawubona,

Wayne was 'forced' to cast himself as Crockett to get financing for the film. Investors wouldn't accept him only working behind the scenes on his first film as producer-director; I can't remember offhand who he originally wanted for the part. I don't think he's as miscast as you say, though (leaving aside the fact that he's not a Southerner) - the part is made to fit Wayne's persona pretty well.

The film's (both of them actually) 'sweep' is a matter of opinion, but at least with the 1960 version you know that the soldiers were real, not the figments of CGI! Both are better than THE LAST COMMAND (1955), with Sterling Hayden as Bowie and Arthur Hunnicutt (more BillyBob than Duke) as Crockett.
Films to be seen in WIDESCREEN before you die!!!!