rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Johnny_H

I just got "The Four Feathers " ( 1939 ) DVD

I must say, the transition is great, I don't think they could of brought that old aged Technicolor to DVD any better then they did.

Rich

Fellows.. regarding the Wayne's "Alamo". I have to say that if you did a poll today probably nobody (except Shel and the guys around here!) would know about the "Last Command". Movie goers like the "legend" and that's how it's gonna be. "The Alamo" and "The Guns of Navarone" were two of the first movies I ever saw in a movie theater. Lots to be said when you're stuck in there in the black and you have that great big screen up there showing things "larger than life". It imprints itself on your brain. There's no law that says movies have to be "definitive" and correct right down to the last very detail. Sometimes myths, like Wayne's film, are more fun to watch and enjoy! Wink
Sawubona

Rich,
As Yanks, you and I both know that there was only one actor who could ever play Crockett and that's Fess Parker! He had the gangly lank, the drawl, and most of all, he had the song. Come on, you know the words: "Davy, Davy Crockett, the king ...."
At risk of just accusations that I'm straying from the thread, I reiterate what I said about Wayne being miscast. Well that may be from seeing Fess Parker first, but the threads that bind together all the Davy Crockett legends is his legendary yarn spinning and his laconic humor. Could Wayne have delivered with any conviction that great line "That's Santa Anna? I thought he'd be taller." in the face of certain death? I feel that the real David Crockett not only could have, but would have (or did). But maybe that's the myth at work.
How about "Lord of the Rings" as one of the ten? Technically three movies I guess, but it (they) certainly sweeps the vistas.
Coll

Laurence Harvey was great as Travis in the 1960 version of the Alamo.

Also, when the deguello(?) is sounded, you know the end is nigh.

Rio Bravo was on recently and the tune was played during that, while John Wayne's character was more or less under siege in the jail.

Rio Bravo I think was made first, so I wonder if they introduced the deguello into that film so as people would be familiar with the tune being played at the Alamo, which would be Wayne's next project.

Coll
Sawubona

Sheldon,
Sorry about a possible misunderstanding or two. We've a phrase here: "sweeping vistas";that is, movie pans which are only reproduced through wide-screen replay. When I said "has the sweep", I meant that the panoramic element of the cinematography (sp?) is lost when not viewed in the widescreen format. And we also have "blue collar" tours which have immortalized the phrase "I don't care where you're from..." Two countries separated by a common language! Sawubona
ralph dyer

hi coll,
i think you will find rio bravo was a later product along with rio lobo. a typical wayne / ford movie. the deguello is a riveting tune and if you are a person to download music there are many versions of it. the best being of spanish origin. i am a great fan of the duke and a film to watch if you have not already seen it is (the cowboys) truly a great film, and a film with heart. for what its worth, the best British actor at present is sean bean. most memorable in ,,,, bravo 2 zero and lord of the rings, sorry but the bravo thing got me thinking. anyway deguello now thats a tune to die for PLEASE excuse the pun.
regards ralph.

Ralph:
Funny you mentioned Bravo 2 . I picked it up for 10 bucks the other day, popped it in and well I really enjoyed it. Not aware that it got big play here
being a BBC production.
Coll

Ralph

Thanks.

A while back I had considered getting the Alamo soundtrack, but although the music is not bad, it would only be the deguello I'd probably listen to.

I'd not considered trying to get the deguello tune through the internet.

I'll certainly have a look as it is a haunting tune which, when listening to it, you can visualise the Alamo mission surrounded by Santa Anna's army on the last day.

Thanks again

Coll
ralph dyer

hi coll,
i use a search engine called emule for downloads music and film. the deguallo is done by nini rosso, enio morricone, dimitri tomkin, gheorghe zamfir and the alamo theme is also there, also try john barry he has zulu dances with wolves out of africa and many more. the list is endless for films and music. good luck .
regards ralph.

hi rich,
yes bravo 2 zero was a great film, in fact i seem to have lost it lol. so todays mission another download. i actually found a kevin costner film called open range, living in holland i lose touch these days, but i enjoyed it very much even though at one point he manages to empty about 12 rounds out of a revolver into someone lol. but a very good film.
regards ralph

me again coll,
if you have msn messenger and you find a problem downloading it, please add me as [email protected] i will be happy to transfer them to you.
ralph.

Coll is right: RIO BRAVO came first. It was made in 1958, and the version of the Deguello used in the film was composed for it by Dimitri Tiomkin. Wayne liked it so much that he used it again in his production of THE ALAMO (made 1959-60), also scored by Tiomkin. The soundtrack of the latter is well worth getting on CD, as it includes material not used in the film (it's also just a terrific score).
ralph dyer

thanks sheldon i stand corrected. 1958 is correct. i should have checked, but my rio lobo video is dated 1966 and i always thought that and rio bravo were made close to each other, lol.

Ralph,

Sorry to be pedantic, but RIO LOBO was 1970; EL DORADO (Howard Hawks' other version of his RIO BRAVO plot!) was the one made in 1966. But it's easy to get them mixed up... RIO GRANDE, RIO CONCHOS, EL CONDOR and EL DIABLO have nothing to do with them though!

Sheldon
Rich

To all my fellow film patrons...
Just got something over the wireless here..Looks like Georgie Lucas thinks that the days of big budget films are over. He alluded to the recent films at the Oscars which weren't big money flicks. He also mentioned Kong. He thinks all the movies in theaters in the next few years will be "indie" films. I don't know. Maybe that's good 'cause there then could be more of a probability of satisfying our need of getting some films re-made! Wonder if George is right.
Films to be seen in WIDESCREEN before you die!!!!