rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
RD knobkerrie
AMB

I note that Wallis and Wallis are auctioning a RD-related Knobkerrie in their 5 Oct auction.

Lot 43 for those with deep pockets.....

AMB
peterw

A two tone wooden presentation knobkerry, slightly flattened head with applied silver shield engraved �Zulu Club. From the Battle of Rorke�s Drift. Given by Mr. G. Edwards Pte. 24th Regt�, 26� overall. Good Condition. Plate 18
* The description of the above lot by the auctioneer in the language of the auction is the governing description. Any translation using Google translate is a guide only - its accuracy cannot be guaranteed and it is used at your own risk.
Estimate: 1,000 GBP - 1,100 GBP

Two men by the name of G Edwards in 2/24th; one a defender, the other present later. So which one was it? The club and the shield look contemporary but without provenance it is a leap of faith. But very nice.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Sounds like a pricey leap too.

Interestingly, in the same sale there appears to be an original Jason Askew painting of Buller's actions that led to his being awarded the VC.
Alan
Site Admin

I'm afraid Jason Askew is my least favourite artist. I have a print of his if anyone wants it, free. Still rolled.

Askew picture went for �360 - cheap for an original but not to my taste. The knobkerrie hammered at �2,100. For an item that was probably at the battle - goosebumps; but proving it is another matter.

Peter
AMB

Knobkerrie. Wow, deep pockets (!) and certainly an 'interesting thing' to have sat in one's library or study. As to providence, well, let's just hope that the purchaser got what he (or she) paid for.

Whilst my library does have the odd expended MH cartridge case from Isandhlwana and RD (and Abu Klea!) and even a fired MH round from Kambula, my days of 'big ticket' expenditure departed with the patter of little feet. Now, there's a thought: maybe I could swap 2 X cute blond small people...Maybe not, Mrs B would veto said (cunning) plan.....

AMB
RD knobkerrie