rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
How Can Man Die Better? By Col. Mike Snook
Space_Aristocrat

I just recently ordered the book How Can Man Die Better? The Secrets of Isandlwana revealed. By Col. Mike Snook. Looking forward to a great read! How'd everybody else like this book? Heard it's interesting.

Space Aristocrat

Site Admin

An excellent book, written by a man with a professional soldier's eye for ground and a passion for his Regt.

(Mine was the BAR review)

AMB
peterw

Isandlwana is a complex battle and difficult to do justice in a single book. Mike's book is definitely worth reading as are those by Ian Knight. Ron Lock and Peter Quantrill provide a slightly alternative view. Enjoy.

Peter
Space_Aristocrat

Thank you for the good advice. I look forward to an excellent read.

It's an excellent book, and you will enjoy it.

After you've finished it, get hold of Mike's second AZW book, which is called "Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke�s Drift". It is also excellent and well recommended.

Smile
AMB

I would concur with Peter in that whilst Mike's books are first class (incl those on Sudan), other authors provide alternative views and some different material that would enhance [broaden] your overall knowledge.

That said, if you read only one, then Mike's will most certainly do the job!

Enjoy!

AMB
dwh999

I am reading this at the moment and finding it fascinating- the only minor "niggle" is that there are very few footnotes to substantiate some of his factual statements .
Colin

It is an interesting read, as with Zulu Victory, Zulu Rising, etc., but my advice is to take on board the knowledge that Isandlwana has been studied for years by authors, walking the ground first-hand, seeking out accounts and so forth, but the concept of trying to put forward the more delicate issues of the men present, decisions and actions can be vague and possibly misguided, due to the fact years of studying a battlefield intimately, every nook, cranny, ridge, dead ground, doesn't really correspond with the actual time those in the fight had to get to know of the surrounding area, for various reasons, but mostly lack of scouting the immediate vicinity and a 360 degree 5+ miles or so around the camp. In other words, 10, 15 or more years studying the area, doesn't match the few hours the men present had to get a keen sense of the terrain, from their position in the camp nor a detailed survey map of what lay beyond their view. Therefore, they could only work with what they could see and hear, without the hindsight of knowing what the authors knew. An interesting approach for a book would have been some modern historian who knew absolutely nothing of the area or battle and was placed immediately in the camp area but no further, and then try to work out what was happening with updates of scout reports, orders, etc., all the time knowing nothing about the surrounding area, terrain or location of the Zulu Army
How Can Man Die Better? By Col. Mike Snook